Monday, February 26, 2007

Fort Scott National Historic Site




Fort Scott National Historic Site is located in, appropriately enough, Fort Scott, Kansas. I took these pictures Saturday under threatening skies and it kept sprinkling on me. It was near dusk with some interesting light creeping out of the clouds.

The fort was constructed over several years from 1842-1846. It was the gathering point for the Kearney expedition in 1845. Dragoons from the fort fought in the Mexican War in 1842, the U.S. Army returned to the fort in force in the Civil War to insure Kansas and Missouri remained free states. In the 1870's, the Army again returned to the town of Fort Scott, this time to protect workers building a railroad across disputed land.

I have discovered that I love the plains states. There are so many overlooked photo opportunities here. Most of them I discover from places like the AAA travel guides or the state information areas.

These are the first photos that I have taken in RAW. It was a different experience. I am still experimenting. I only have Elements so perhaps if I had full blown CS2 it would be different.

5 comments:

Anna said...

Those skies are dramatic. I like these shots Mike.

CG said...

These dramatic, lowering skies make a vivid contrast to the houses. I think you did a great job shooting in RAW. I use Elements too and I manage ok. You'll never go back LOL

bluemountainmama said...

wow...those clouds in the first shot are amazing! i love history and visiting places like this. we have a lot of civil war history in our area...lots of good hands-on learning for my son.

photowannabe said...

Love your pictures and your skys are so dramatic. I especially like the single house with the dark clouds.

Lori Schmidt (LoriProPhoto) said...

Wow interesting buildings and the sky in the top one is amazing!!

I shoot everything in RAW plus small JPeg and usually use the JPeg for web prepared pics and only if I feel there is an exceptional shot that I want to use as stock will I convert it and send it on to my agency. Not sure which camera you use but I know Canon supplies a basic package DPP for RAW conversion. I shoot with the small JPeg because it saves me the time to view all those large RAW files. I can normally tell if a shot is going to be worth saving or not from that.

Great saturation and very dramatic shots.

Lori