Saturday, February 24, 2007

Ominous Clouds


The weather in Kansas was rather stormy most of the day today. After the seminar at Pittsburg State University I drove north toward Fort Scott to get some pictures of the fort in the last light of the day. Well on the way up there I was stopping to take some pictures of the low hanging clouds with various farm structures and trees. When I got home tonight I looked at one of my pictures and saw this odd thing on the left. I wondered why it was getting so windy. I was concentrating so hard on getting my composition I didn't notice what was going on. Needless to say the wind died down after I got back in the truck and I drove on a little further oblivious of what may have been on the left side of this picture.

What do you think it is? I am still not convinced of anything.

Update 2-25, I think Lori actually came up with the explanation see the comments for details!

7 comments:

AB said...

Hi Mike, and thank you for visiting my blog!

I have bookmarked you, and will definitely be back. I have fond memories of a trip to the Ozarks when I was a teenager. What beautiful country it is!

:)

photowannabe said...

Looks like a twister to me...great shot of the clouds.
Thanks for stopping by my blog. Come again anytime. I've bookmarked you and will look at your pictures again.

Lori Schmidt (LoriProPhoto) said...

It sure looks like the start of a tornado. Did you have any trees or anything near you when you shot these? The only other thing I could think of is that you had a twig in your line of vision which could explain it. It looks rather odd that it is one density, when the funnel cloud starts it normally blends into the clouds.

If it was a tornado, you were lucky. I wouldnt like to have been that close to one.

Lori

Mike said...

Ok Lori I think you may have solved the issue. There was a twig I was fighting now that I think about it. Couldn't get in to get rid of it due to a ditch full of water. Between the depth of field issue and vibration from the strong winds it could be that.

That's kind of embarassing, but I am not going to tell the local meteorologist that said he thought it was one. Maybe I should go into special effects!

Thanks Lori I bet you are right. It is good to know I wasn't totally absorbed in my photo work.

Carmi said...

I'm with Lori. The fringing around the edge of the artifact suggests very strongly that it's an out-of-focus foreground element. Likely a branch or tree limb.

But still, it stops and makes you think. Which is the neat thing about all photography.

I love how the clouds seem to mimic the tree line. I'm glad you're OK after all this: it's been a wild fe days of weather across the country.

Memories Catcher said...

Great shot.Beautiful view and place.Great colors and light.Good job!

Anna said...

That is gloomy....but I like it alot Mike. It is calming to me with the colors.