Friday, April 20, 2007

1918



OK, I am just playing with my Elements program, but I kind of liked the way this turned out. I was going through some stuff in the garage last night and I ran across my Grandfather's WW1 helmet and canteen. I thought about them and considered a still life. Color didn't do anything for me and the black and white was more impressive. Then I got carried away.

You don't hear much about WW1, it was completely overshadowed by Hitler and WW2. Although the way the victory and the vanquished were handled at the end of WW1 probably led to Hitler and WW2. The stories that my Grandfather used to tell were bone chilling, he really didn't talk about it very often. He saw Paris and much of France. He was present at the inauguration of Woodrow Wilson before the War.

I hope everyone has a great Friday.

7 comments:

bluemountainmama said...

very nice composition....

i really like what you did with the coloring and how you arranged the helmet and canteen.....

Abraham Lincoln said...

Those World War I items are valuable in so many ways. That you have them means the person wearing them survived the gas attacks and the miniballs that killed so many. It was a war to end all wars but it was not the end of war. We still have not learned how to get along with our neighbors.

I came to thank you for visiting my blog, yesterday, and for your comments about Patty's last radiation treatment. She was so pleased that I heard from so many people, including Eric, and I know it made her day extra-special. She was also surprised that some of you also visited her blog and left comments there. So thank you for your visit and comments. Being new to the community, it was a big surprise to us. Thanks again.

Abe and Patty Lincoln
Brookville Daily Photo

photowannabe said...

Great still life. Black and white was the best choice. The grittiness tells a story about a time in our history.

Elaine said...

I like the processing. You are right about WWI being overshadowed by WWII. We didn't learn much about it in either high school or college!

(You might see my dandelion photo again in a month or so...)

JAM said...

I like the photograph a lot. And the story behind the items is excellent.

I have an old friend whose dad was in most of the major battle in Europe in WWII, and he has his dad's helmet and canteen. Mr. Karnaps canteen has all the battles/dates scratched into the side with his combat knife. Anzio, Normandy, etc.

Anna said...

I like this Mike. And I loved to hear about your Grandfather. Thanks.

Pequete said...

This is a great photograph, it looks really special, not just because we know that what we're looking at has a story, but also because of the mood you created with the sort of sepia colouring.