Monday, April 02, 2007

Back to Nature


After posting a series of building shots I thought I would get back to nature for a time or two.
This is a seed ball off of a sycamore tree. The balls fall to the ground relatively intact and then start the breaking down process which is when this photo was taken. Shortly after this each of the feathery seeds is on its own taking flight with the wind.
These seed balls almost remind me of Tribbles, from the old Star Trek TV series.
Take care everyone and I hope you have a good Monday.

6 comments:

bluemountainmama said...

very neat shot! i didn't realize that's what a seed ball from a sycamore looked like. i'm sure i've seen them before, though.

photowannabe said...

The same for me. I really appreciate the picture and information. I guess that's one of the reasons I like blogging . I learn so much .

Anna said...

I have never heard of or seen that....thanks for sharing it...

You learn something new everyday! :)

Elaine said...

That's neat. I have some intact balls but have never gotten a good shot of them. (I was at the park at noon, but I guess you didn't go today!)

JAM said...

The second I saw this I thought, Tribbles! But you already thought of that too. I think we had a sycamore tree when I was a kid. I never knew for sure, but it dropped these hard balls about the size of a ping pong ball and they would soften and degrade like the ones you've pictured here. I can't tell how big they are though. Cool shot.

Lori Schmidt (LoriProPhoto) said...

Cool shot Mike. You have a really good knowledge of flowers and plants, thank you for identifying my yellow flowering bush LOL (it was you wasnt it??) Terrible to be getting old, the memory starts going.

Lori