Thursday, April 26, 2007

Considering a Time Past

This is my oldest daughter, Katy, considering a display at the Eisenhower Presidential Museum and Library in Abilene, KS. Most of you will recognize the sculpture and the photo behind it as the famous photo taken during the New York parades celebrating the end of the Second World War.

We have visited several of the presidential libraries which range from honest assessments of their time and administrations successes and failures (Eisenhower, Truman and Bush 1) to glorious "look at how great I am" montages (Clinton). I have to admit I am biased to some degree on this statement but it was too painfully obvious.

I love the Presidency and reading and studying the men (so far) that have served there. It is a great institution.

I bet this posting will generate some heated discussions. I hope everyone has a great Thursday.

9 comments:

Sniderman said...

I've only been to one library... but would like to see more.

I have to think, though, that most libraries are testaments to that Presidents own achievements and moments in history.

Some would have more things... others less.

And I would not be shocked to see a megalomaniac like Clinton enjoying a spectacular show. On the other hand, he did a LOT of noteworthy things and met a LOT of people while in two terms.

It's not all bad.

lv2scpbk said...

I remember showing that photo on TV several times.

Ex-Shammickite said...

It's great that you have travelled extensively in your own country, and that you are educating your daughters by taking them to museums and libraries and giving them the chance to explore the history of USA. I love to explore and learn but sadly there are many people who don't have the opportunity, or who just don't care about their heritage.
Perhaps you'd like to visit Canada next? We have marvellous scenery, a fascinating history, a favourable exchange rate, and you'll get an enthusiastic welcome from Canadians.

Anna said...

One late night as I surfed from blog to blog, I saw a blog once where a woman went to the Clinton Library and was so excited at the possiblity that there may be TWO Clinton Presidential libraries in the future after Hillary gets elected as President. She included pictures on her blog she had taken there....

...I commented that this is why I love photo blogging, I get to view places that I would NEVER go visit.....and that goes for any future Clinton libraries!

:) Sorry, had to say it....

Have a good day Mike!

Elaine said...

Sad to say, I have never been to a presidential museum or library. I must say, though, that Clinton's being a "look at me" kind of place is not surprising. Anna--a second Clinton Museum is a totally scary thought (and one I hope will never get to be built!)

JAM said...

I've never been to a Presidential library. You've been to several, good for you.

That's one of the most famous photos of the 20th century. It still stops me in my tracks to this day.

Anna brings out a scary point, one I haven't even considered. Two Clinton libraries? I don't think I would care to visit either one, thank you.

Anna said...

Sure is scary!

Chad Oneil said...

Very cool photo. I like how you captured your daughter staring at it.

Mike said...

I knew this one would attract some attention!!!! Thanks everyone for your comments.