Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Flying High



I debated on what to post after news of the horrific massacre at Virginia Tech. It is sad our nation has to continually be bombarded with events such as this. Why one person can ruin the promising lives of so many young and talented people and the people that teach those students is beyond me. I am sure we will learn more as the hours pass into days and the days pass into months.

I mourn the loss of so many and pray for all of those who are hurting, whose lives may be constantly affected or shortened by the wounds of this day. When can we learn to live with one another?

Anyway, today's shots are in one of our local parks where a couple were working to get airborne a rather large kite. I remember the joy of kite flying. It took me back to a time when life was a little easier, less traumatic than the day just past.

6 comments:

Abraham Lincoln said...

Kites are like spirits flitting about above our heads. I can't begin to tell you how many memories these pictures bring to mind. Imagine World War II and that we were close to losing in the Pacific. Children had few toys but kites were cheap. We also made what we called "sling shots" with forked sticks, a piece of leather for a pouch and two strips of rubber cut from a real rubber inner tube.

Someone would send their kite up and it would dance above our heads in the winds. Then one of us would take our slint shot and pick up a stone along the railroad tracks and shoot at the kite. We pretended we were American fighter pilots shooting down what we called, in those days, a "Jap" Zero.

Someone would eventually hit a critical rib in the kite and bring it down. And that's one of the things we did with kites during the war years that I had forgotten about until I saw your post today.

Abraham Lincoln

Cris said...

As a kid we used to make them! Now you can go to the store and get a pack with all the things you need. But I remember my brothers working on the bamboo sticks to make the kites lighter. Our thoughts and prayers are with those families who lost their loved ones.

Elaine said...

Nice shots! There is just something about a flying a kite that makes me think of possibilites and being free.

JAM said...

I started a post about the VT thing and after a few paragraphs, deleted everything and started on something else. It'll get pounded into the dust on the news; what could I say, you know?

The kite photos are perfect. The cropping on that second one is awesome. Cropping isn't something I'm very good at. I try to crop in the frame when taking it, and hate to change later, sometimes to the photo's detriment. I need to think outside the rectangle a little more like you did here. Very nice.

Geraldo said...

Having a son studying in an American university, I always worry about these tragedies. It's hard for us non-Americans to understand why this great nation continues to allow any person, no matter how disturbed, to just walk into a store and buy deathly weapons. Isn't it time you start talking about revoking, or at least changing, the Second Amendment? Otherwise, tragedies like this will happen again and again...

bluemountainmama said...

i think these photos are an apt tribute....a little color and hope in the midst of tragedy.....