Sunday, April 01, 2007

From the Old to the New


Last Saturday we were in Eureka Springs marveling at the old buildings and homes. This weekend we were closer to home at Burrell Park here in Springfield. Sometimes modern architecture can be just as beautiful as the old stuff. But, as Carmi discussed a couple weeks ago in his blog, Written Inc., will it have the same staying power or timeless attraction. I doubt it, but what do you think?

I love architecture of all types. I guess I should have become an architect or engineer instead of what I did chose. I've seen some pretty ugly buildings out there. Perhaps we could run an ugly building contest.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

4 comments:

Anna said...

I doubt it too Mike. I mean, I like new and old styles...but let's face it...there is a timeless quality in the superior craftmanship of what was....

Hope your Sunday was restful. "See" you tomorrow!

Abraham Lincoln said...

Hello Mike, and thank you for visiting my blog. Visitors and their comments are the fuel that fires imagination.

I like new buildings almost as much as old ones but as anna said, "there is a timeless quality in the superior craftsmanship of what was" and that is hard to imagine in modern architecture or modular construction.

Anyway, the photographs are very nice.

JAM said...

The buildings in the first photo will probably seem dated in the years to come, but in the second photo, although obviously more modern, the red brick and the simple lines are a strong look back to traditional buildings, so I think the buildings in the second photo will still look pleasing in the years to come.

Nice shots.

On my regular blog, I posted several photos of my old high school that I took on a visit just after Christmas. It was opened in 1933 and is almost gothic. Still a beautiful school. Lots of details.

Elaine said...

OK, another park you know about that I have never heard of. Where is it? I like both buildings, but I think I would choose the top one as it can have some interesting reflections.