Saturday, April 21, 2007

If You Can't Fight City Hall....




...take a picture of it. I hope I have my old sayings correct. These pictures are of the old city hall here in town. It is a magnificent structure carefully saved. On the third floor is council chambers and the History Museum. Other city offices occupy the remainder of the structure.
Adorning the top of the building are some of the most grotesque gargoyles I have ever seen. These things are huge. Gargoyles were originally used as ornate waterspouts to deflect water from the sides of buildings. This entire structure is out of sandstone blocks and carvings.
Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

5 comments:

Elaine said...

I didn't even notice the gargoyles when I was there! Nice shots.

lv2scpbk said...

Nice building.

JAM said...

I love the details of old buildings. They rarely put that kind of thing on new ones. Just after this past Christmas, Lovely Wife and I took a trip to Monroe, Louisiana, my home town, to visit my family.

I walked around my old high school, opened in 1931, and took a few photos. I hadn't been on the campus in many years and it was fun, and I went and photographed lots of the building's details that used to intrugue me in high schoo.

Having a camera in hand helps me to notice details I would have never noticed otherwise.

Great shots.

bluemountainmama said...

that is an amazing building. it's great that it has been preserved. i love all the shots!

Mandi said...

It looks very grand. I miss "English" buildings as here ours take on a Middle Eastern look.