Monday, April 16, 2007

The Wedding, Part 2

Today we have a picture of the Bride and Groom. This was taken when they were cutting the cake. I converted it to black and white to see if I liked it.

As I said yesterday, this shoot was done as practice, as they were originally not going to have any photographer other than the multitudes with their small digital cameras. As such you are competing with a lot of people with cameras. As a true wedding photographer you would have to be clear that you are the one photographer and they are to pay attention to you. Handling "family and friends" with their own cameras is one of the challenges you will face as a wedding photographer.

Take the shot above for instance. I had the full attention of the groom, but the bride was distracted elsewhere. While I like this shot I can't help but wonder if it would have been much better if she had been looking directly at my camera.

The challenges of wedding photography.

Have a great Monday.

2 comments:

JAM said...

The hardest part for me about weddings is the feeling that I'm in everyone's way. But in the one's I've shot, total of three, but the last two recently, it went well. I knew that the couple wouldn't have had a photographer otherwise. I was sort of the official photographer for both. So I just did my thing and everyone seemed happy with the results. It's not easy knowing that they depend on you for some printable shots. Plus, doing it for friends helped each couple save several hundred dollars that a pro wanted to just show up.

Nice work here though.

Carmi said...

I've shot weddings professionally, and I've learned to deal with the amateurs with humor. Lots of happy banter seems to disperse the "helpers" without too much stress.

I also find the wannabe shutterbugs are usually intimidated by the presence of someone with a camera that looks like it came from the moon.

I like this image precisely BECAUSE she isn't looking at the camera. Sometimes, the best photo is the unconventional one, and this one works wonderfully. Great shooting!