Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Houston, We Have a Problem

Some of you may be old enough to remember these famous words in person. Others may remember them from the movie Apollo 13 starring Tom Hanks as commander Jim Lovell. This is the actual command module from the Apollo 13 mission. How did they rank this in the middle of Kansas?!! I just about fell over when I realized which command module this was. Wow, talk about a history high.
This is the outside of the Cosmosphere in Hutchinson, Kansas. Hutch is a neat little town and well worth your time if you happen to be traveling across Kansas. Take some time to linger, Kansas does have a lot to offer if you do your research.

Take care and have a good Tuesday.

8 comments:

Lori Schmidt (LoriProPhoto) said...

Hi Mike

Thanks so much for your dedicated visits to my blog even though I have been neglecting everyone.

I have looked back over the posts that I have missed and always love your detailed accounts. I remember Apollo 13 well, what a great find LOL.

On the subject of trains, dont apologise for your passion, I think about you every time I see a train. On my way up to the show I passed a house with a sign outside advertising ".....'s trains". Cant remember the guys name, but I immediately thought about you LOL.

Great shots from the archives. I wish I could go back over my negatives and slides but I cant because they are all in England and South Africa in storage and I dont know if I will ever see them again.

Thank you again.

Lori

Anna said...

I love anything that has to do with space....movies, tv, books, images! :)

Cris said...

I think I was little... :-)

Moksha Gren said...

Well...I guess the little capsule got used to the nothingness of space and thus feels more at home in Kansas ;)

I'm too young to recall the actual Apollo missions, but I've followed the space program since i was a wee young'un and love both these shots.

aphotoinhand said...

Really neat pictures. I so wish I could go to space...

Sarah

photowannabe said...

Fascinating and right in Kansas. I wouldn't expect a museum there with Appolo 13 exhibited. Nice shots, especially the first one with all the reflections.

JAM said...

Man, I love space related stuff. I loved it as a kid in the late 60s and early 70s, still do. Living near Kennedy Space Center, I try to never miss a shuttle launch, even if it's only to walk outside at work or from my front yard and see the tiny Shuttle and satellite launch rockets.

I have a couple of decent train photos I keep meaning to post and am reminded every time I show up here. I'll get to them in a couple of days.

Chad Oneil said...

First one's my favorite.