Wednesday, June 27, 2007

And Now for Something Different






I have never taken sports photos, unless you count my daughter's marching band photos. Teresa and I ventured into new territory last night as we went to the Spokes BMX Track at Jim Ewing Park in Springfield. I concentrated on action shots trying to develop a panning technique. It is much harder than you think. I tried the camera on various settings from manual to automatic. I tried the continuous shooting mode. Shooting sports is harder than it looks. It was fun. I am ready to go back and try it again. It was a fun crowd and they were thrilled we were there, so we pretty much had free reign to roam around. We will be sharing pictures for their web site and will probably do more later in the summer.


Teresa took some crowd shots and "mood" shots. She used the 300mm and I was very impressed how much closer she could get with that lens. I was using my 18-135mm kit lens which I like.


Below is a picture of Teresa and one of her students. He was the one who got us there in the first place. Thanks Damian.

10 comments:

Anna said...

Different is VERY good here!

And there is that all too familiar yellow and black NIKON strap! :) These are so great Mike. It definitely is great that you tried some shots that you don't normally do. I bet it was pretty fun!

Have a good day!

Moksha Gren said...

It's great that you're trying to expand your comfort zone with your artform. And I'd say your first forray into sports photography went well. I love the jumping shot.

Tracy said...

Now it's your turn to bring back memories for me! My three brothers raced BMX, and we spent every weekend at the track. Nice pics!

JAM said...

Good shots, Mike. In the early eighties my younger brother was really into bicycle bmx and I loved shooting it with my old Canon AE-1. You really captured the intensity in that top shot in the boy's face, while his body is blurred. It was such a fun thing to watch, back in the day. I'm glad to see young folks still doing it. My bicycle was my best friend when I was a kid.

luke156 said...

sound like a fun time, great shots!

Joel Reynolds said...

Wow, great shots!
The 3rd one is my favourite - you captured the action very well!
Joel

Ch√Ęteau-Gontierdailyphoto said...

Hello I discovered your blog through the comment deposited on the blog of Lori. I like much your images, they are very quite made up. I add your blog in my list with the favourites and to create a bond starting from mine.

annulla said...

Great action shots. Very exciting!

Blather From Brooklyn

Mark said...

Very nicely done, Mike! I think you have a future in this part of your hobby. I'm with MG on the jumping shot. Way cool (if I may say so without sounding like an idiot).

My brother and I were into BMX as kids, but never participated in official races -- our land provided all the track we needed.

Mark said...

I've never taken a panning shot I liked, but you managed to get a good one here. That's why the jumping one is my favorite. That, and because I love the graceful, quiet nature of BMX versus a motocross.