Thursday, June 14, 2007

A Different Front Porch...



These "porch" shots were taken in New Orleans last summer. I ran across them and decided they met the front porch criteria. The shots were taken one year after Katrina. The French Quarter is in pretty good shape. The rest of the city is still pretty much a wreck.

My mother in law lives in New Orleans. Fortunately she lives on the West Bank where there was little or no flooding. There was wind damage however and there are Fema trailers spotted all over here and there. Directly accross the river on one ferry is downtown, where this shot was taken. Across the river on the other ferry is Saint Bernard Parrish. It is still a scene of complete and utter destruction. Mostly abandoned, the homes are still boarded up with the search and rescue markings visible on them.

I made it back from the Carolinas. Not many pictures were taken due to time and mobility constraints. I did get out into my warehouse district a little and wonder about.

Thank you all for making so many comments on Teresa's picture. She enjoyed them.

Take care and it is good to be home. I hope to get around to your blogs soon.

4 comments:

Tracy said...

Love both of these!

Anna said...

These are good Mike....I love the greenery.

Moksha Gren said...

I don't know how I missed these shots when I came by yesterday. Ah well.

I don't know if I've menetioned it, but I lived in the French Quarter for about 6 months during a post-college nomadic phase I went through. Of all the palces I lived, I get nostalgic for the Quarter most often. Shot like these remind me "what it means to miss New Orleans." My wife has never been, and it saddens me that I'll probably never be able to show her the city I fell in love with. I think it will recover...but I don't think it will ever be quite the same.

And I'm very glad to hear your family came through everything relatively undamaged.

JAM said...

I've always love ornamental iron work like that.