Sunday, June 17, 2007

The Octagon Barn


Teresa and I went to Nathaniel Boone's homestead yesterday. It was a great trip. We learned a lot about the youngest son of frontiersman Daniel Boone. I will share some photos later in the week.

Just past Willard, Missouri on Highway 160 is this magnificent barn. I couldn't resist sharing it with you. I don't know the history of the barn, but I do know these are relatively rare. I wish the lighting had been better.

In Ash Grove, Missouri I found plenty of fodder for my front porch series but I am going to go back either in the early morning or late evening as the noon sun was too harsh. Perhaps a cloudy day. Many lovely porches in this small town.




OK I am leaving you with a mystery. What is it? Hint, we were hot after trodding across the Boone farm in 90 (F for my non-US friends) degree heat.

Thanks for reading....appreciate you all.

11 comments:

Salty Dawg said...

Nice capture! We have a few round barns in Pa. but I have never seen an 8 sided one. Thanks for sharing

Lori Schmidt (LoriProPhoto) said...

Hey Mike, dont faint it is me LOL

I guess it is the button which you press to order at a drive thru restaurant, or a roadhouse???

Wonderful Barn, wow that is unusual. I have been wanting to photograph a few old barns around here for a while now, hoping to do that on Tuesday when I spend some time with my friend, we have been trying to get together for a day for months!!! All of the old barns here are falling to pieces so they are pretty rare, only the new metal types.

I am going to be reading back and going over all of your previous posts, just wanted to check in and say hi. You have been wonderful keeping up with my blog for which I thank you. I try to shoot a picture of your little buddy Taxes each day, he has now been labeled as your buddy, his adopted friend LOL. We had a little rain last night, not anywhere enough but anything is great at the moment.

Hope you had a great weekend.

Lori
xx

photowannabe said...

What an amazing barn. I have never seen one like that. Is the speaker for an old fashion A & W drive in restaurant?

Mike said...

The speaker is from a Sonic Drive In restaurant. A Route 44 Diet Coke was just the ticket after walking around the Boone farm in 90 degree heat!

Tracy said...

I love the top one. My dream has always been to turn a barn into a house. This one would work well!

Moksha Gren said...

Cool barn. My wife and I have a dream of buying a pice of property with a barn and fixing it up into a rec room/ guest house. We're no where near realizing such a fantasy...but this building makes me daydream a bit.

Happy Belated Father's Day.

Geraldo said...

I always think of barns in the US as the traditional wood buildings, this is very different!

JAM said...

I like your barn shots, and envy you walking around there with camera.

I do love me a Route 44 Cherry Limeade now and then.

Ele ^_^ said...

Wow great building.. I've never seen a barn like that.. Great capture! ^^

Cris said...

Wonderful barn!!! Hum, I'd say it is an old coke machine?

Mark said...

I was going to guess Sonic, but you gave it away!

Nice day of picture taking. I love days like that.