Thursday, June 28, 2007

The Secret Garden




This weekend we discovered a great flower garden in Phelps Grove Park here in Springfield. Just behind the flower garden was this amazing entrance to a private backyard garden. I really fell in love with this yard. After you went through this gate and the tunnel that the honeysuckle formed I could see a gazebo and generally a densely foliaged back yard.




Inside the park were a number of amazing flowers some of which I will be showing over the next few days off and on. Here is a sample:



I wasn't sure what this was until I went across and looked at a new friend's blog (see the commentary for yesterday and go to Château-Gontier-daily-photo, I will link it later today) this morning and sure enough there was what looked like a similar flower. He said it was an artichoke. So I now believe this is a relative of that plant. If anyone knows for sure let me know.

I hope everyone has a great Thursday. Tonight is our Camera Club meeting where Teresa and I announce the results of the second quarter competition. Our club is planning a big field trip to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone in September so I am going to try and do that one. Should be fun.

8 comments:

Lori said...

It really does look like the entrance to a secret garden. I love that book, so I enjoyed your picture very much! I envy your trip to the Grand Tetons. A lot of photo opportunities there!!

Moksha Gren said...

Cool door. THere's just something about a mysterious door that ignites the imagination. There's a house in my neighborhood, little fairy tale cottage looking thing with a tiny little window into the upper floor just over the front door. The window has these tiny and ancient wooden shutters and I always look at it when Norah and I are out for a walk, half expecting to see a little elf or something dart into the shadows inside the house.

Shelby said...

oh it looks magical :)

happy Thursday!

luke156 said...

you found a wonderful garden here, nice shots!

Château-Gontierdailyphoto said...

The chance… we have the same subject the same day. .with a different point of view. Thank you today you make me smiled.

Tracy said...

The top one is great, but I LOVE the bottom photo!

Cris said...

Both photos are beautiful, the secret garden was a nice find!

Mark said...

That's very cool. I wish we had known about that place when we lived in Monett. Springfield was the only nearby place (if you call 45 miles nearby) to go, and Nature wasn't what we usually got when we visited.