Monday, June 04, 2007

Stepping Stones

This photo was taken at the Japanese Stroll Garden at Nathaniel Greene Park yesterday during the Japanese Festival there. The park has a lot of potential for photo taking. For some reason thought the local park board is not real camera friendly there. They charge an admission in the first place and then if you look like you may be a professional photographer they want to tack on another $25. I guess this is at any of the parks but this seems to be the only one they can enforce it at.

Anyway enough local politics. These stones cross to a small island in one of three little lakes. The park definitely has a Japanese flavor. I thought there would be a lot of damage from the ice storm but in reality it looks like the most damage came from the late freeze. Many of the Japanese Maple trees were froze back to their trunks. These were 10 year old trees so the damage is significant.

I hope everyone has a good Monday.

7 comments:

Lori said...

This is a beautiful photo! I love the textures of the stones and their reflections on the water. I'm surprised they aren't more photo friendly there. That's too bad. Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day! Have a nice Monday.

Elaine said...

Nice shot, Mike! I wanted to go yesterday, but forgot all about it until I took my dog to the park at 6:30. Too late! I didn't know about the charge for "professional photographers". I was going to take all my lenses, but I guess I won't do that when I go.

Mark said...

Hi Mike,
some great images from a good mix of places. I have never heard of places charging more if you look like you can take a decent picture, i think you saved your self some money as the stones are great.

Cheers Mark

photowannabe said...

I also didn't know about a surcharge for professionals. How does one make the decision that one is professional or just takes professional looking pictures?
Politics...

Anna said...

I love the framing here Mike. Thanks for my birthday wishes on my blog! :)

Cris said...

So, I guess you can not have a good camera anymore that they want to charge professional? Nice shot Mike.

Geraldo said...

You mean this is a public park and they'll charge you for having a camera they consider professional?
I went to the campus of the State university here some days ago. They have a nice rowing facility there, and I saw some boats on a rack that would make a good picture. However, the guard didn't let me in when she saw my camera, and said I needed to get a permit from somebody, somewhere. This was on an open area, in an university maintained with tax money, mine included... I guess politicians and public officials are the same all over...