Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Waiting for the Train

While we were in Ash Grove I was lucky enough to catch a coal train rip through town. I wasn't fast enough to get close to the tracks but decided to walk back and catch the other cars waiting on the train.

I imagine the people in those waiting cars thought I was nuts.

These coal trains are like the blood of America. The coal originates in the Powder River Basin area of Wyoming and move all over the county supplying our coal fired power plants. We as Americans have basically chosen coal because we are afraid of nuclear power. In the meantime these coal plants spew out tons of carbon emissions and cause acid rain. I wonder which is really best?

I will leave this question for you all to ponder and debate. Have a great Wednesday.

9 comments:

Cris said...

That's a scene not seen here... cars waiting for trains, that's so American Mike, and I had fun waiting for the train when I lived there, trucks are mostly used here, a pity because this is much cheaper. I prefer coal...

Joel Reynolds said...

cool shot - I love the colour of that train.

Joel

Lori said...

I love that shot, especially with that tower in the background. It's beautifully framed. Yes, it's too bad that we haven't found a better energy source.
P.S. Your last couple of shots were great too! I love that black-eyed susan.

Moksha Gren said...

Cool shot. I agree with the coal cringe...but trains hauling nuclear material seem less...nostalgic.

Anna said...

I love it when you post trains. :) That is a great yellow!

JAM said...

China is supposed to bring on line two coal-fired power plants EVERY WEEK for the next TWENTY YEARS! I kid you not. I say bring on the nuclear plants, but that's me.

Love the train shot. I'm finally getting over the looks I get from walking around or stepping out into the street or whatever with my camera.

Down here in FL, I see trains pulled by 4-6 diesel engines pulling a couple of hundred cars heaped with sand. Who the heck pays to transport sand? I sure don't know. But believe me when I tell you the ground shakes from the mass of these trains flying through at about 50mph.

Tracy said...

Ohhh! I LOVE this picture! GREAT job.

Stacy said...

I prefer old passenger trains myself. :) One used to run behind my house, and we would wave at the passengers as they went by.

China cooks a lot with coal. I can always tell when I walk into a restaurant using coal. My eyes immediately start to burn.

I think of the poor coal miners having to produce that stuff! Lots of hard luck stories in those mines.

Great looking train, though. They're mesmerizing. :)

Mark said...

It is almost scary how much coal China is burning and will burn for the foreseeable future.

Good pic, though.