Monday, July 09, 2007

Wilson's Creek National Battlefield

Saturday evening Teresa and I went to the local Civil War battlefield. It is named after the small creek that meanders through the area. Wilson's Creek was the largest battle fought west of the Mississippi River and saw the first casualty of a Union General. The battle was technically a Southern victory, but it was a victory not capitalized on, as Southern forces never were able to get a strong foothold in Missouri, a key border state. The battle took place on August 10, 1861, early in the epic struggle between the states.

The picture above is of the Visitor's Center at dusk and after closing. Due to the ensuing darkness a tripod was used to stabilize the picture.

Thess are pictures of the Ray House. It is stop number 2 on the driving tour of the battlefield. The Ray children hid in the cellar under the house for most of the battle with their two slaves while the parents watched the battle unfold from their front porch. (I told Anna there would be a front porch in this series.) The house later became a Union field hospital.

There may be some of you who are wondering what happened to stop 1 on the driving tour. It is the only trail still closed by falling trees from this past winter's horrific ice storm.

Tomorrow we move on to the Southern Headquarters.

Have a great Monday.

11 comments:

Lori said...

Wow, that first photo of the Ray House is spectacular!! You should frame that one. A really beautiful shot!

photowannabe said...

Love this history tour and I am looking forward to more. Great shots.

Anna said...

Looking forward to more as well Mike. I love the fences in these. I am sure that you had a wonderful time deciding what to shoot!

Elaine said...

Guess there will be some coverage of this for a while! Some of us went last night, since I had never been before. It is very pretty and I'm looking forward to going back soon.

Chad Oneil said...

The middle image is my favorite.

luke156 said...

love that shot with the cabin, nice series!

Susan said...

Hi Mike,
I saw your comment at Chads blog and popped by.
I appreciate your photography style. I like your perspectives and point of views. Very nice.

Kekiinani said...

Great info and shots. I really like the vertical shot with the roadway :) :) Looking forward to seeing more from your tour... Of course there is a porch in your shot!! That comment was just tooooo funny!! Thanks for the laugh :) :)...

lv2scpbk said...

I really like the third photo. The fence seems to draw your eye along the path up to the building.

JAM said...

I like going to the old battlefields like this, it's hard to stand in the places where you know men fought and died and killed and it now be so peaceful and pretty.

Cris said...

Love the houses Mike!