Thursday, July 12, 2007

Wilson's Creek Part 4 - The Implements of War



Cannons are a part of every Civil War battlefield. They are like the dinosaur fossils of old. Somehow they remain after all the smaller implements of war have disappeared. Many times they still rumble in defiance to the ages that have passed. Men of our time dressed up to man these ungainly beasts and it gives us another opportunity to imagine what it may have been like.

The top photo was taken at the Pulaski Arkansas Battery. This Confederate battery overlooks a field in front of what is now known as Bloody Hill.

The middle photo was taken at Guibor's Battery on the opposite side of the battlefield. This Union battery overlooks the same area on the other side of the battlefield.

The battle culminated on Bloody Hill which Union forces managed to hang on to throughout the battle. In the end, 1,700 Union and Confederate soldiers had been killed or wounded there.

Throughout the area around Bloody Hill there is a small orange wild flower growing. It reminded me of stains of blood in the ensuing darkness. They made me think of those men who never got to return home to families and sweethearts. They passed from this earth on a hot Missouri August evening doing their part in one of the most epic struggles of history.

God bless both sides, they both believed they were doing right. In the end God decided, but the struggle was much longer than they ever imagined it would be.

If you want a flair for the feelings of the war watch the movie Gods and Generals. It is the prequel to the movie Gettysburg.

I hope everyone has a great Thursday. This may be it from Wilson's Creek. I hope you have enjoyed the tour.

9 comments:

bluemountainmama said...

i've enjoyed this series of photos mike....and your narrative. it reminds me of this song by david wilcox, which was taken from a poem found during world war 2:


"Let them in, Peter
They are very tired
Give them couches where the angels sleep
And light those fires

Let them wake whole again
To brand new dawns
Fired by the sun not wartime's
Bloody guns

May their peace be deep
Remember where the broken bodies lie
God knows how young they were
To have to die
God knows how young they were
To have to die

So give them things they like
Let them make some noise
Give dance hall bands not golden harps
To these our boys

And let them love, Peter
For they've had no time
They should have trees and bird songs
And hills to climb

The taste of summer in a ripened pear
And girls sweet as meadow wind
With flowing hair

And tell them how they are missed
But say not to fear
It's gonna be alright
With us down here"

even when war is a necessary, it is a tragic thing.......

bluemountainmama said...

oh.... and the orange flower looks like butterfly weed. it grew along our road in KY....

Moksha Gren said...

I really like the top picture. I only wish the cannon weren't looking directly into trees...but there's not much you can do about that.

inspired said...

very interesting ;o]

Tracy said...

Love the middle picture. It could have been taken today or many years ago!

Anna said...

I really like those cannon shots Mike. You really got some goods shots that day!

Chad Oneil said...

That second cannon one is my favorite.

When I go up to PA to visit family in October, I'll be going to Gettysburg for a day. It's been years since I've been there and before I had gained my photographic knowledge. So, I'm looking forward to capturing some cool stuff while there.

Thanks for contributing to my "Cell Phone" discussion.

Kekiinani said...

Nice series of images and your commentary is very interesting. Thanks for sharing. :)

JAM said...

All three shots are great, Mike.

Nice narration too. I like context with photos. I like to know what exactly I'm looking at, it makes the photo mean more to me.