Friday, July 13, 2007

Wilson's Creek Part 5 - Postscript

I thought I was going to end the Wilson's Creek series yesterday but this image kept haunting me. I just had to get it off my chest. We were astonished to find a new high voltage power line crossing the National Battlefield's northwest corner. True, it did not cross any of the important sites but it has become a backdrop against some of the battlefield sites. This for instance was taken at the Bloody Hill site and granted it is at full telescopic 200mm the newly built line does create a backdrop that does not match the Civil War era very well. I am disturbed the National Park Service allowed this to happen. What next: power lines across Yellowstone?

Note the pulley's on the poles. This is what they use to string new lines. As the line reaches its' next substation the lines will become permanently attached. The picture was taken at sunset.

I don't know how many of you are fans of CBS Sunday Morning. It is the only news show I truly enjoy because it is more like a good news or informative show. Anyway they always end the show with nature shots and peaceful noises of nature, no words.

Today I am leaving you with an experiment in back lighting. A Queen Anne's Lace flower was back lit the other night so I took this picture. I like the way the sunlight comes through the green stems.

I hope everyone has a great Friday and weekend.


12 comments:

Salty Dawg said...

Mike,
Thanks for your nice comment on my anniversary post. I enjoy your blog very much. We share a keen interest in history and this series on Wilson Creek has been great! Our Civil War consisted of a few major battles that we learned about in our school history classes along with numerous smaller engagements that common history has passed by. The casualties suffered during these engagements are astounding compared to todays actions.

I love your shots of the artillery pieces in your prior post, Well Done!
I’m glad to see the NPS is restoring Wilson’s Creek; they are in the process of doing the same to Gettysburg. It is sad to see the power line defacing such hallowed ground and one would have thought that a more appropriate route could have been found.

Heidi said...

I like Queen Anne's Lace and your shot of it is particularly nice. Lovely.

bluemountainmama said...

i think the queen anne's lace shot may be my favorite photo that you have posted thus far.....beautiful!

JAM said...

Love the back-lit queen anne's lace.

I like the power line shot too, but hate that it's put across the park.

It's happening all over the south and east, encroachment on the battle parks lands. I saw it A WHOLE LOT when we lived in the Atlanta area.

Ch√Ęteau-Gontierdailyphoto said...

Two very nice shots...very different...but very nice..I like the poetry of the first one.

Thank you for your last comments on my blog....today " devil is passes " ...see you soon

Elaine said...

I didn't notice the power line, but I wasn't there very long. I guess they are an evil necessity, though it is a shame to have one visible at Wilson's Creek. Makes a nice shot--bet Ted wouldn't want it for his calendar!

Love the backlit shot.

Susan said...

Nice backlighting on the QE lace. Only a true photography nut gets down to that level for the perfect light! I often wonder what people think when I am on all fours, crawling around!
Thepower line tower is an interesting shot. AAt first I thought the pulleys were lanterns! But Erecting such a thing at a historic site shows poor judgement on the part of your local officials.

photowannabe said...

I like the backlighting very much. Great shot.
It seems an alternative could have been found to not have power lines crossing such an historical place.

Ele ^_^ said...

Nice photos, expecially the second one, I like the perspective, it's original! ^^

Tracy said...

the queen anne's lace is gorgeous. worthy of framing, i think.

Anna said...

Wonderful shot of that flower. The light is amazing!

Lori Schmidt (LoriProPhoto) said...

We also watch CBS Sunday morning, it always has interesting topics. I have been enjoying my tour of Wilson's Creek.

Lori