Sunday, July 15, 2007

Y Bridge



This is the old Y Bridge at Galena, Missouri. I had forgotten about it until one of my friends reminded me of it. It crosses the James River and has been closed to highway traffic since 1986 when a new wider span was completed to the north.

What makes it a Y bridge? Well the east end splits about 3/4's the way across to go north and south. It is no longer in use but is still standing due to a federal water gauge mounted on it and it is now on the Register of Historic Places. You would think that would save it but it is slowly crumbling back to the earth to which it came.

More on the Y bridge tomorrow. Have a great Sunday.

11 comments:

Anna said...

Oh that second one is AWESOME...I love the reflections. Have a great week Mike!

Carmi said...

I have always loved old bridges. When I was a kid, I wanted to become a civil engineer and build them. I voraciously read every book I could find, and my parents abetted my addiction by buying me lots of books on the subject - which I keep to this day.

I've explored a few bridged around here and my native Montreal with my camera, but your work here has inspired me to revisit these wonders of engineering with a fresh perspective. Wonderful captures, Mike.

photowannabe said...

Great perspective and reflections. Black and white was a good choice.

Mark said...

Gerat pictures of the bridge. Black and white definitely was the right choice.

Now, if only the wind had settled down a little bit for the reflection in the second shot.

Kekiinani said...

Beautiful shots and I love the black and white.. :) :)

Ele ^_^ said...

Wonderful b&w photos with bridges, I like the first for the perspective, It seems really a nice bridge, maybe one day I'll walk on..

Tracy said...

I like these alot!

Moksha Gren said...

Hate to disagree with Anna...but it's the first oen that really moves me. I mean..they're both great and the bridge itself is magnificent. But the curve of the bridge and the way you framed it is truly stunning.

Lori Schmidt (LoriProPhoto) said...

Great B&W and lovely shots. Very interesting story, I hope they make an effort to restore it or at least slow down its decay.

Lori

Chad Oneil said...

Great bridge images.

JAM said...

I love both of these. Nice shots, and I love old things like this. Think of all the people that crossed this thing "back in the day."