Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Adventures in Travel

I am sitting here in Charlotte just a little upset with myself as I forgot to bring my trusty Olympus. Most of you will recall this is my first digital camera that I usually throw in my computer bag when I travel. So there will definitely not be any pictures today.

Yesterday I flew here and it was quite an adventure. I got on the plane at the Springfield-Branson National Airport (had to throw that in as I have a few former Ozarker's that may not know about the new status of our little airport) and the Northwest Airlines pilot announced his name was Ricky Bobby. OK, for those of you who are not up on your movies Ricky Bobby is the name of the Nascar Driver played by Will Ferrell in the movie Talladega Nights. One guy quipped "I ain't flyin' in no plane with someone with two first names." Everyone laughed and the lady sitting next to me in a heavy Southern drawl said "well I hope he shakes and bakes because I only got a thirty minute layover." We all laughed again. He did like to go fast...we had to skirt a whole bunch of storms on our way to Memphis all the way down to Fayetteville, Arkansas and over Little Rock and we still made it to Memphis with minutes to spare.

Then on the flight to Charlotte we had a hilarious attendant. She was a young African American lady who had a wild hairdo and kind of danced and laughed and talked her way all the way to Charlotte. Everyone loved her. She had to fight an uphill battle because we were delayed about 20 minutes getting out of Memphis for a minor repair. Then on the approach we abruptly aborted and shot straight out of the approach and made another go this time landing. The pilot announced the plane behind us had a medical emergency so we gave up our spot to get him in faster.

All in all, just another day in the friendly skies.


7 comments:

Mark said...

I would have completely lost it when the pilot said his name was Ricky Bobby.

So when you say Fayetteville, was it really Fayetteville, or was it XNA? I always got a bit ticked off when airlines called XNA a Fayetteville airport. It's at least 30 miles from Fayetteville. Oh well.

Whatever the case, glad you had some in-flight entertainment.

photowannabe said...

Its been a long time since I found any humor while on planes. It must have been a pleasant surprise.
No camera huh? How will you survive?

luke156 said...

too bad about your camera...a pilot named Ricky bobby? that hilarious!

JoAnn-NL "Through my digital eyes" Story's & Travel :) said...

:)haha!

Greetings JoAnn

Annie said...

I hope you waved at me as you flew over Little Rock.

Your story reminds me of why I prefer not to fly. I hate those unexpected moments, the quick repairs, the weather threats. But, of course, it really is a safe way to get from here to there.

Elaine said...

Ahh--Northwest Airlines! The group from Japan (25 in all) flew NW from Detroit to Springfield, but their luggage didn't make it. You would think that when they were calculating the weight it would be noticed that they were a little light. Then they promised to deliver the baggage, but they never did that either. Oh well, that's my NW story! At least the crew on your flight seemed interesting.

bluemountainmama said...

i hate it when i forget my camera! sounds like you had some great staff on those planes.... enjoy your trip!