Thursday, August 02, 2007

Empty Pews

Inside the Primitive Baptist Church in Cades Cove, TN. There are at least 3 churches inside the Cades Cove area at Smoky Mountain National Park. I am assuming that they are no longer in use which is a shame. This is as close as some people ever get to Church.

The long wooden benches bring back a lot of memories for me as I grew up going to revivals in a lot of country Missionary Baptist Churches that had wooden benches like these. I even remember one that had wooden benches and no backs to them!

Take care and have a good Thursday.

10 comments:

Louis said...

I love this picture...there is something very personal about it for me.

Mark said...

Hey! I've been there and took some shots. Not sure I captured it quite like this. Very nice, indeed.

photowannabe said...

Perfect lighting and b&w is the best way to see the richness of the wooden pews.
There is a reverence inyour photo.

bluemountainmama said...

man, no backs ?! i guess you don't have to worry about your parishioners falling asleep then. :)

i love cades cove. there's a similar preserved park area on the border of NC and TN called Cataloochie valley. the residents had to move out b/c it became state protected forest and gamelands. ther are similar abandoned churches, schools, and residences that they have preserved. it is like going back in time.

i LOVE the photo! it's perfect in b&w.

Heidi said...

This is a lovely shot!

Salty Dawg said...

Wow! B&W is a great choice for this shot. It portrays the austere lines wonderfully.

I'm glad that you had a great vacation and that you are sharing your wonderful photographs. The Smokies are awesome!

Anna said...

I want this to frame. :) Breathtaking.

Chad Oneil said...

Very nice, bro.

gaz said...

one word... beautiful.

Tracy said...

This is really beautiful. Nice work!