Wednesday, August 08, 2007

The Gardens at the Biltmore


The house is the main attraction at the Biltmore Estate but I bet the gardens are a close runner up. There are few words that can describe these gardens.

Even though it was hot, there were many people out enjoying the color and work they have put into the gardens.

The top photo is the entrance to the greenhouses. The second photo is an arbor that runs between the house and the gardens. Look at the trunks on those wisteria.

As I have talked about here I have changed my way about having people in my pictures. I used to wait until everyone is gone. Now I look for interesting people to have in the picture. Especially at a place like this where they can give a sense of size.
This Japanese Maple trunk caught my attention.

This is a flower on a bromilead. Bromileads are relatives of the pineapple.

This last shot was taken at the gift shop of all places. They had a really nice garden gift shop. I could have spent half a day there!


I hope every one is doing well and I hope you have a great Wednesday.


13 comments:

Mark said...

Those kids add a wonderful sense of scale. I, like you, got into the "including people" game late. But, I have to say, when taking pictures in the Ozarks, I didn't always want the other wanderers in the shot. There has to be at least a hint of decorum in their attire (unless the swimming hole and its power to refresh is the focus, but you know a little about that.)

Heidi said...

These are wonderful!

Stacy said...

Thanks for checking up, Mike! We're all doing great.

I LOVE these pictures, especially the tree covered path. I want to go there! Even the flowers are especially nice. Are you trying a new technique in your pictures?

promoteyourblogforfree said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ch√Ęteau-Gontierdailyphoto said...

Nice and interresting report

Cris said...

Truly beautiful, gardens, flowers...

photowannabe said...

Amazing garden gift shop. I think thats a unique selling feature.
Great shots and I like the people in that photo. It definitely gives the feeling of size. Love the gnarled trees.

Anil P said...

The last picture is quite striking indeed.

Elaine said...

These are all good, but the last is my favorite. I have really been out of touch since last Friday when our Japanese student arrived. He is leaving for California at 11:30 AM today (Thursday) and returning to Japan Saturday. It was an amazing experience that none of us will ever forget!

bluemountainmama said...

i love the flower photos, mike. very vibrant! and the trunks on those wisteria ARE incredible.... i've never seen them that big.

Moi said...

it was lovely touring a part of garden with you :)

Moi said...

it was lovely touring a part of garden with you :)

Moi said...

it was lovely touring a part of garden with you :)