Monday, August 27, 2007

Meriwether Lewis



Tucked away in the rolling hills of Western Tennessee are the remains of one of the most celebrated of Americans. Meriwether Lewis was on his way back to Washington to meet with President Jefferson when he suddenly took ill and passed away at a local tavern/stop along the way. He was en route to bring his journals from the Corp of Discovery trip. Long known for extreme bouts of depression it is unknown if one of these contributed to his death.

Lewis died a scant three years prior to the Second War of Independence. It would have been interesting to have seen his roll in that conflict.

This monument stands along the Natchez Trace. This highway is maintained by the National Park Service and itself is pretty amazing. Rolling along in a park like setting with a maximum speed limit of 45 mph and no trucks it was quite enjoyable for the short time we were on it. We plan to return at some point and drive the entire length from Nashville, Tennessee to Natchez, Mississippi.

I hope everyone has a great Monday.

7 comments:

JoAnn-NL "Through my Dutch eyes" :) said...

Hi, You Have a great monday to you too, however I couldnt reach anyone sofar, so therefore I visited some (yours) blogs, I like your blog of today (+ story is ver informative) very much

and I added a link form your blog on mine.. OK?

:) JoAnn

Pat Jenkins said...

who new of his depression problems. good stuff mike.

Lori said...

I never knew much about Meriwether Lewis before. Your posts are so informative. We always learn something interesting!

photowannabe said...

I love taking this mobile history lessons with you. Keep up the good work and you have a great Monday too.

Mark said...

I've read a good chunk of Lewis and Clark's account of their trip out west. Just fascinating how much hardship they endured and the encounters they had with the native peoples.

I didn't know, however, that Lewis was depressed.

ASH said...

I have visited this part of the Trace; its great to see pictures of it. It seems like such an out-of-the-way place for a man of Lewis's stature to meet his end.

Sad to see you are taking a break from the blog world, but the need is understandable ... I will miss it!

JAM said...

I would love to see the Lewis burial site. I didn't know he died there.

There's an amazing section of the Natchez Trace that is set aside just north of Natchez, Mississippi too. As a kid living in Vidalia, Louisiana, right across the river from Natchez, we often went over there to swim in Cole's Creek and play on Emerald mound.

I have some photos and talk about it on my "other" blog here, here, and here. You don't have to read it all, but there are some nice shots of the area.