Saturday, August 11, 2007

A Million Little Details

First off for any of you remaining Biltmore fans out there, after I have beat it to death, I thought I should include the postcard version of the mansion shot. That is not what today is about though. Everywhere you look there is a detail on this mansion. It is absolutely incredible the thought and the craftsmanship that went into this building. You know what is funny though? I personally wouldn't care to live in it. The images that follow the overall mansion shot are some of the details that went into the building. I hope you enjoy them.







This concludes my little tour of the Biltmore Estate. I hope you enjoyed it.

Today Teresa and I went on two, yes, count them two field trips with our camera club. The first was a sunrise event at Wilson's Creek National Battlefield and the second was a a local business, Murphy's Water Gardens. Both were incredible experiences. I have enough photos to do another Wilson's Creek series and Teresa got some really incredible shots when we returned to the battlefield after the water garden shoot. There is a documentary being filmed there and there are a fair number of reenactors. Teresa does such good people shots.


I hope everyone is enjoying their Saturday. The temperature here is approaching the century mark, so I imagine everyone is going to go into hibernation this afternoon.

9 comments:

Salty Dawg said...

Wow! What an estate! And you did a great job capturing it. How anyone ever lives in places like that is beyond me. I’m perfectly happy with my little home in the country.

Your train macros are cool. I didn’t realize the engine was a model until I read the text, but I did think it was really clean.

I must apologize for not commenting more. With my dial-up service it is very time consuming although I do visit your blog along with others nearly daily on lunch break at work. I’m looking forward to seeing your sunrise shots at Wilson’s Creek. I keep promising myself that one day soon I will visit Antietam for a morning shoot.

Annie said...

My family went to see this estate and raved for hours about what they'd seen. No photos, though, until I saw these of yours. It's quite a place indeed. And to think that I was implying in my Build-A-Bear post that those toys were too costly. Even the little girl in my story couldn't keep up with the spending done on that estate.

I'll look forward to seeing your Wilson Creek photos.

Stacy said...

That is just beautiful architecture. I have never even heard of Biltmore. I am going to have to read up on it. Gorgeous pictures.

Chad Oneil said...

Very nice captures for sure.

Elaine said...

These are great shots. Like you, I can't imagine living there. I don't think it could ever feel like a home. It is beautiful though.

I got some good shots at Wilson's Creek yesterday. I thought about going to the reenactment, but I have a hard time with the heat.

Tracy said...

These have ALL been wonderful. I hope to visit Biltmore in the future. I especially liked the secong to last, with the oval framing the flowers!

Mark said...

Nice details. The old man with chin in hand is my favorite.

Question of the Day:

What did the owners do if they needed additional space?

Built more mansion.

Whoo-hoo! Oh, man, that was bad.

Cris said...

Great job Mike, really enjoyed the series!

JAM said...

Beautiful. I've never been there, but have always wanted to do so at Christmas time. Rumor has it that they really spruce yo olde pile o bricks up then.