Thursday, August 16, 2007

Price's Headquarters

During the Battle of Wilson's Creek, Confederate General Sterling Price took over a small cabin on the Wire Road to serve as his headquarters. The original cabin did not survive the years but a small cabin was moved in by the Park Service as a stand-in. This location provided excellent views of his artillery positions and of Bloody Hill where most of the fighting took place and where his Union counterpart, General Nathaniel Lyon fell, becoming the first General killed in the War Between the States. I guess some Southerners prefer to call it "The War of Northern Aggression" even to this day.

Just as we walked to the small cabin a ground fog bank rolled in creating this surreal landscape. I focused on the grass for this shot leaving the cabin in the background as a blur. I kind of like the effect. I will show an opposite tomorrow and will let you all be the judge of which you prefer.

I hope everyone has a great Thursday.

7 comments:

Mark said...

I can imagine this as the view a sneaking soldier has as he crawls prostrate across the field.

I've a missed a few because I haven't added you to my RSS reader at home (my lunch hours have been spent at a training facility instead of my usual spot, so no RSS reader from work lately).

Moi said...

beautiful view and fog adds to its .....

Moksha Gren said...

It's haunting this way...almost forboding. I like the effect

Pat Jenkins said...

pretty cool site here, i appreciate your commentary with your pics!!

photowannabe said...

The perfect cover to move the troops. Really nice picture.

Cris said...

Mike, I have to confess that when I first read Wilson's Creek I thought of Dawson's Creek, I had no idea what it was about, thanks for the telling us some history!

JoAnn-NL "Through my digital eyes" Story's & Travel :) said...

I love the mysterious athmosphere from this pic..

:) JoAnn