Sunday, August 12, 2007

Terrible Swift Sword


Today's picture as you can tell is a little off my normal base. It had its beginnings in two areas. First, it is a result of my "playing with the macro" the other night. Second, it comes from my interest in military history Ala Wilson's Creek.

The picture above is a macro shot of the upper engraving on a US Calvary Dress Sword. We picked this sword up at a restaurant going out of business auction in Lawton, OK (Fort Sill). It is my sole weapon in my rather limited collection. There is engraving all up and down the sword blade and this is only one area that I shot. I have cropped it to include only the blade. It is amazing how these can be engraved. I believe the sword dates from Calvary days in the 1870's or 1880's.

I have come to realize that this has become more of a history blog rather than a photo blog. What do you guys think? Do you like this trend or would you rather see it go back to more of a photo blog. I am not sure how this transformation took place. One reason is my intense interest in history. The other reason was the reaction I got from you the reader.

Thanks for your interest and suggestions. Please let me know how this blog is doing. Tomorrow we go back to Wilson's Creek for a short visit. If you missed the earlier series go back about a month.

5 comments:

Shelby said...

I like it as is. I'm a history nut tho... really great blog :)

JoAnn's-Photo-A-Day, said...

Hi I found your blog.
Nice blog, I would like to visit it some more, and findout whta you like to photograph.

I invite you to visit my blog also, I am Dutch , living in Holland, with also (of course!!) a passion for photography and travelling .

Greetings from me

Mark said...

Hey, if historical sites/things are the subjects most readily available to you, then what makes more sense than what you're doing here?

I like history now that I don't have to memorize dates for a test.

Photos, history, whatever. I'll keep hanging around.

Lori Schmidt (LoriProPhoto) said...

Hey Mike

I was hopeless as history at school LOL but I find all the stories here very interesting so I say keep it as it is, at the end of the day it is a blog which is about you and your passions. If it is history and trains then go with it!!!

Lori
xx

Cris said...

I like the way it is, and also the way it was, it really does not matter to me, I like coming here and enjoy what I see every time.