Sunday, September 23, 2007

Colorado Trip - Back to Day 4



Washing the front windows, Durango, Colorado

Climbing towards Rockwood. Highway 550 overpass north of Durango, Colorado

Rockwood, Colorado



Waiting for the train, Silverton, Colorado


Second Train Arriving, Silverton, Colorado

A small home Silverton, Colorado
I never realized how difficult it was to meter on black steam locomotives. I was continuously over exposing my shots.

The pictures above were taken in the Durango, Colorado and Silverton Colorado. The day would be spent traversing what I call the San Juan Mountains narrow gauge circle. I followed the Silverton Branch of the old Denver and Rio Grande (now known as the Durango & Silverton) from Durango to Silverton and the would cross over the Red Mountain Pass to Ouray, Colorado to follow the path of the Rio Grande Southern from Ouray through Montrose, Telluride, Ophir, Dolores and Mancos back to Durango. Due to heavy road construction the trip was not an easy one and took me much longer than expected.

9 comments:

Mark said...

It is very difficult to expose for black subjects, especially if, like me, you usually keep you camera set to spot metering. Our black dog gives me fits, and today at the zoo the gorillas and chimps were tough. I finally figured out the right exposure and just set it to manual so I could make subtle adjustments via the exposure compensation dial (which I've just started using after about 20 years of using SLR's).

Okay, enough about me. Great shots here, Mike. You really gave a great sampling without overwhelming us with too many shots.

Sniderman said...

LOVE. IT.

JAM said...

Where are the window washing bums when you really need them. Oh well.

This is an amazing set of photos. I love the final black and white one.

photowannabe said...

These railroad shots are great. I love them all and the black and white gives the photo an edgy feel. Nice series.

Chad Oneil said...

Did you go back in time or something?

Those are really cool.

oldmanlincoln said...

I used to live beside the D&U railroad and it went up to Union City Indiana in the morning and came back down to Dayton, Ohio in the evening. It passed our house twice each day. And it was about the size of the train engine you photographed today. Nice shot. Over exposure can be a problem but you seemed to solve it OK.

Shionge said...

Hiya :D Thank for for dropping by I truly appreciate it.

I've enjoyed your photoshot tour as well - there is just so many things & places to explore in America.

I'll be back :)

Shelby said...

I love these too.

Lori said...

Wow...these bring back memories. We went to Silverton and Durango many years ago when I was just a little girl, though we didn't ride the train. I wrote a post about that same trip when we stopped in Ouray ("My Dad and the Silver Ring").

My parents went back to CO a few years back and DID finally ride that train. You'd love my dad..he's a big train buff, too.

P.S. I have an uncle living in Springfield, MO. It's a big place, but...you never know!