Monday, September 03, 2007

Labor Day






Well, since Anna was so complimentary of me I figured I had better get busy and work on some of those front porch shots.

Labor Day in the United States was originally a day set aside to honor organized labor. I think it has developed more into a day to honor all labor and it mainly gives us an official end to the summer tourist or vacation season. Or it has developed into a day where we "labor" to do all the yard work we have been putting off all summer due to the heat.

We were on our way home tonight from the store and saw this front porch not far from our home. As soon as I got home I grabbed the trusty Nikon and the tripod and headed out the door. Of course Teresa knew where I was going without me even saying anything.

I have always admired this front porch and this was the first time I had had the chance to capture in in all of its nighttime glory with a flag to boot.

What a place to sit and enjoy the evening.


11 comments:

Mark said...

You are the porch master.

The flag was a very nice touch. Good thing you saw it in time.

photowannabe said...

That's the one thing I always wanted in a house...a wrap around porch. Didn't get it but i have a great patio and a cooling overhang.
I love these night shots. it says America and American holiday.

Kerri said...

Love the porch shots!

bluemountainmama said...

a front porch is a MUST in my book.....and this one is about as picturesque as you can get.

i saw anna's post.... you two are funny!

Elaine said...

That is a great porch! There is a porch in our neighborhood that I would love to photograph, but I've been too chicken to do it.

Lori Schmidt (LoriProPhoto) said...

Very nice Mike ... these are not easy shots to get nicely balanced without blown highlights. I used to shoot for an Estate Agent (Real Estate here) and they were big into the evening shots for the big mansions where you could see into the big windows from outside, sort of like looking in on a scene unobserved. I always used to start shooting while there was still a bit of light in the sky and keep shooting until it was completely dark. Of course those were the days when we still shot on film LOL.

Lori

Michelle said...

Wow! Makes me wish I had a better porch. :(

Salty said...

Great work! Perfect exposure and no noise!

Super nice porch to, it would be a great place to sit a spell.

Pat Jenkins said...

the "sight" of a photographer. seeing the picture ahead of time. great job!!!

Cris said...

I thought you were retiring Mike... nah.... Glad to have you back posting nice pictures, I love porches too and this is lovely!

JAM said...

A beautiful and inviting place.