Friday, September 07, 2007

Winter 1862, Pea Ridge, Arkansas


I have discovered another local Civil War Battlefield. This one has an even more interesting history than our own Wilson's Creek which has been covered a lot on this blog.

This picture is of one of the model displays in the visitors center and I love the way it turned out. As you can see from the title this battle occurred during the winter. Taking pictures of the Battlefield in the summer didn't seem to capture the mood of the actual battle very well. So hopefully this will set the mood and perhaps you will remember this shot as you see the others coming up.

The most fascinating thing about Pea Ridge is the personality of the participants. In fact I would say that personality won this battle and even saved Missouri for the Union.

OK, here is the background. Missouri was considered essential for the Union as it would serve as base of operations to secure and control the Mississippi River. Control of this waterway would keep supplies coming to the western front for the Union, it would drive a wedge through the South and it would cut off the Western Southern States of Arkansas, Louisiana and Texas as well as the Indian Territory. That was the premise for the Battle of Pea Ridge.

Where is Pea Ridge? Pea Ridge is the name of a low ridge rising out of the White River Valley in Northwest Arkansas. It lies about 10 miles north of Rogers, Arkansas or 25 miles west of Eureka Springs, Arkansas. It is actually about 50 miles south of Wilson's Creek on the old Wire Road. You will remember Wilson's Creek as a battle which occurred during August of 1861 and has been covered here before.

Tomorrow or Sunday more on Pea Ridge.... until then take care.

9 comments:

Mark said...

I almost couldn't believe my eyes when I read that you'd never been to Pea Ridge before this.

Each time someone came to visit us when we lived in Northwest Arkansas (it's its own sovereign state, you know), they would ask us to take them there.

Glad you "discovered" it and that's a great shot.

photowannabe said...

Good stuff Mike..looking forward to the rest of the story.
This picture is supurb.

oldmanlincoln said...

Very nice photograph and the story behind it is interesting reading.

Mike said...

Mark, perhaps the word "discover" was not the best choice. I knew Pea Ridge was there and had been through it once before. I think my use of the term "discover" was more akin to this park makes a great story. Some battlefield's lend them selves to better photography and story telling. Pea Ridge is great and Stones River is not so great for instance. There are no readily apparent Stones River stories that lend themselves to a good blogging story.

I really didn't know Arkansas was a sovereign state. But I have discovered they do have their own way of driving.

Kerri said...

I love how you give us the history along with the picture. Nice shot!

Cris said...

Yes, the picture turned out great and the story behind it makes it even more interesting.

Chad Oneil said...

I thought they were actors! Cool image.

bluemountainmama said...

i thought those soldiers were real, too! great capture!

Lori said...

OK... I have been to Pea Ridge also. I've never known anyone else besides my family who has been there. That was also years ago, and at the time I wasn't much on history, but I remember what an impact it made on me and how much I enjoyed going there. It would be interesting to see again as an adult.