Sunday, October 21, 2007

Drury University's Stone Chapel

Springfield is home to a fairly well known small university. Much smaller than the huge state university here Drury University plods along putting out graduates who are well versed, especially in business with an economics slant.

Teresa and I were on campus Friday night for a Children's Literature Festival and decided it would be worth a return trip with our cameras. This is Stone Chapel. Drury has its roots as a Christian School although it has long since shed that title. This was one of the original buildings on campus I believe, but am not certain.

The bright white like in the lower right corner is the moon. I started to crop in out but decided it added a little flare to the shot. This was just past sundown during that time the sky comes out a deep blue. A little light from the sun was left casting a glow on the Chapel.

I hope everyone has a great Sunday.

14 comments:

Kerri said...

Beautiful Chapel... and I love the angle of the shot. I particularly like the feeling of candles in the windows, however those may just be lights shining thru... and also that you were able to get the clock in at the top. Wonderful Job!

Shelby said...

Beautiful chapel indeed.. never been there.. happy Sunday to you and yours!

JoAnn - NL "My digital eyes" :) said...

Wow! Nice shot and well captured , even sharp by evening, thats even worth a compliment, So my compliments!

HI!:) Missed you,
I am back from my short trip to South of Italy, thanks for 'not forgetting me' I posted an overview of pictures from my holiday , soon more... Have a great sunday!!!

Greetings JoAnn

jel said...

Morning Mike,

that is a cool shot.

If I remember right, when I was small kid, My grandma told me that she was a cook there, in it's hayday, and I think she told me once that Bob Barker went there too! that was a long time ago ;)

oh and thanks for the visit and the comment on my blog!
have a great day!

Scarlet said...

Nice worm's eye view of the chapel. ;)

Seriously, it's beautiful and I love the look of the moon on the far right. It wouldn't have been the same if you cropped it out.

KMF said...

beautifull shot i love the prespective
have a nice day

happyone said...

Beautiful picture of the chapel. I like the angle of the shot. Good decision I think to leave the moon in. Really nice!!

Corey Bienert said...

Thanks Mike.

That means alot to me!

Thanks for checking out my work. Weddings are alot of fun to shoot. It just takes a little bit of patience sometimes...especially when you have a big family like mine :)

Ch√Ęteau-Gontierdailyphoto said...

I like the colors you have found on the old stones of this Chapel...

Heidi said...

This is indeed a really good shot... the angle, the lighting... very nice!

Mark said...

You pulled off a nice one here. Not just a "me, too" copy of a postcard shot.

Reminds me of when I got to visit the Duke University campus during a work training trip, and shot pics of the main chapel there.

I love this kind of architecture.

photowannabe said...

Beautiful chapel and the glow in the windows. The moon in the corner just adds that special something. I'm glad you didn't crop it out.

MedaM said...

This photo looks like mysterious to me. I like the angle you captured that beautiful chapel.

Shionge said...

Whoa! Even the moon wants to be part of this photo ya :D very very nice and a beautiful night too :D