Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Washing Windows


The Durango and Silverton is a first class operation. As I traveled the length of the little railroad it occured to me that it is probably better run that some of the big railroads. The picture above illustrates this point. No detail is left undone. Everything is clean well kept and first class.

What is different about this little railroad that endears it to so many? First off it is what is called a narrow gauge railroad. A narrow gauge railroad is one where the distance between the two rails is less than the normal 4 feet 8 and 1/2 inches. In the case of the Durango and Silverton the distance is 3 feet. In those three feet the railroad threads its way through the Animas Canyon several hundred feet above the river and proceeds from Durango to Silverton through some of the most rugged mountains in the country. The railroad has been in existence well over a hundred years and appears to be going strong with 2 to 3 trains daily during the Spring, Summer and Fall. Now that the line is a tourist railroad it shuts down during the Winter so employees can maintain locomotives, cars and buildings. Each Spring the track is cleared and track repaired and rebuilt so the little trains can ply their way to Silverton once again.

The other draw of the Durango and Silverton is of course the scenery. The San Juan Mountains of Southwest Colorado are some of the most beautiful in the country.

Take the train ride of your life sometime and visit the Durango and Silverton.


14 comments:

Mark said...

I have always heard it's a beautiful ride.

My father shot some harrowing video the last time he was aboard. Whew! That's a steep drop!

Wonderful shot of the window washer.

photowannabe said...

That's a trip I have always wanted to do. Hope we can someday soon. Great shot of the window washer.

Scarlet said...

My son is fascinated with trains and this is something I'm sure we'd all enjoy. It appears to be quite an attraction. Nice photo.

Shionge said...

Hey thanks for this post..now I know :D

KMF said...

nice one

JAM said...

Sounds like a great trip to take on that railway. The only trains I've ever ridden on were at theme parks and the one around the base of Stone Mountain in Georgia.

bluemountainmama said...

i may have asked this before, but have you ever been on the western maryland scenic train? it's in cumberland, MD and there is a lot of train history there along with canal history. we used to live in that area.....

happyone said...

Sounds like a wonderful vacation. We will have to do that one day.
You should model it. :-)

Moi said...

I love the colors in the photo.....

Salty said...

I like this shot Mike, the man seen through the distortion of the wet window; squeegee in hand captures the story well!

Again I must say this has been a wonderful series!

jel said...

very cool shot,

and I bet you could get some great pictures , on that ride!




than ks

Carmi said...

This is art, Mike. Pure and simple. Composition, light and color, all pitch perfect.

Juhi said...

very nice pictures....thanks for sharing. please take a look at my blog sometime http://travelnlife.blogspot.com/

Anna said...

I really want to go to Durango one day....my husband says that I would want to move there if I ever went. :) I love the band images Mike and of course, the front porch! Hoe that you are well there!