Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Night of Terror

What an evening! We had tornado warnings beginning at 5:50 yesterday evening and the sirens sounded almost continuously until about 9:00 or 9:30. But that was not all, they began again at about 2:30 this morning and went on until 3:30. Many of our neighboring towns were hard hit: Monett, Republic and Strafford. Springfield was apparently hit in several areas but I have not heard damage reports.

Fellow blogger Sniderman is a Ky3 Stormteam Meteorologist and they did a great job of reporting the storm news and warnings. Amazing. I am sure it was a long evening for Dave but thanks for all your hard work!

I didn't realize this at the time but I was glued to the TV last night. I watched continuous storm coverage on Ky3 from the time I got home until I went to bed. I haven't watched a full night of TV in years. So phooey on the reality shows and Hollywood writers and producers, give me storm coverage anytime!

7 comments:

oldmanlincoln said...

Wow. Well, we got the wind here in SW Ohio today and a high wind advisory until tomorrow is in effect. We are near 70 degrees and that wind is bring in a cold front and we think there will be some tornados with it when it passes through later today or tonight.

Mark said...

Monett got slammed, huh? I guess Pierce City a few years ago wasn't close enough. We watched that tornado from our front porch in Monett. It was that big.

*Linnie* said...

The Springfield area always seem to get hit hard by storms. My aunt's house in Republic was destroyed a few years ago...they all huddled in the bathroom as the house fell down around them. So sad.

We lucked out here in southwest Illinois...just some heavy rains. Thank goodness!

jel said...

Glad to hear ya made it though, boy it was some storm! the wind and the rain was something here!

take care


oh really like the pic of the waterfall, is that around here close!

SNIDERMAN said...

Thanks for the kind words, Mike. It means a lot. I'll pass it on to the team.

photowannabe said...

Wow...scary. So glad you and your family are safe. I read about the tornados on line this morning. They said that it is a rather freak happening.
Stay safe and dry.
Sue

Kerri said...

Wow! Glad to hear ya'll are OK! I bet it was SCARY! I'm sure I would have been terrified!

Stay Safe!