Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Red Mountain Pass

This is one of the few shots I took going over Red Mountain Pass between Silverton and Ouray, Colorado. I have read some stories about it this winter, as it has more avalanche areas than any other stretch of highway in the United States. Three snowplow workers have lost their lives in one particular zone.

What an incredible highway! If you take it be prepared to go slow and enjoy the view. Roadwork usually causes delays as there are just a few months they can work on it. IF you go in the winter be prepared in the avalanche areas and be careful. It is one open and unprotected road. Hairpin curves and lack of guard rails add to the excitement.

I hope everyone has a great day.

9 comments:

Stacy said...

This is exactly what I think of when I envision the Rockies. Beautiful.

Mark said...

Makes me think of Red River, NM, which I always enjoy.

The deadly avalanches, I could live without. I hope those snowplow drivers get major hazard pay.

photowannabe said...

Love your understatement....no guardrails adds to the adventure...for me it adds to the white knuckles.
That really is God's country you have pictured. Beautiful.

Anna said...

I seriuosly need to go there. I am going to talk my hubby into a family vacation there this summer. I love it through your lens...

Thanks!

BTW, when we were in Colorado Springs we went up Pikes Peak....no guardrails.....it was completely frightening....but I loved it.

Wolf Lover Girl said...

I love this pic, makes me long for Colorado. Ouray and Telluride are by far my favorite areas.

~ Wolf Lover Girl

Cris said...

Beautiful!!! I miss the Rockies Mike, have you been to the Independence Pass? We were there twice a few Summers ago...

SNIDERMAN said...

Mike,
when Mrs. Sniderman and I moved to Western Colorado long ago.. the first Spring, we went over Red Mtn Pass to Silverton (i.e. the snow tunnels to porches comments I've made).

When we got back, my boss (the news mom of the news babies) scolded the two of us for being to stupid. And we were.

The story you mention is true... and the reason that the slide tunnel exists on the highway. And the severe snowpack we drove through that day slid later that week.

It was a beautiful drive, but perhaps one of the more gomer-like things I've ever done in my life. Ah... to be so naive again. Those were the days. ;)

Kerri said...

Spectacular image!

MedaM said...

Wonderful view!