Saturday, January 12, 2008

Roses, Macros and Light



Another day, another flower. I took a rose to the back porch and set the aperture to f22 on the macro lens to get a deep depth of field. Setting the aperture to such a small size of course lengthens the time of the exposure so I set the timer on the camera to reduce shake. While that was going off I grabbed a piece of black poster board to get rid of the distracting background and held it there while the exposure went off. With the other hand I painted the rose with light from a flashlight to brighten it more since it was an overcast day.

It was kind of fun to experiment. Get out and try something new and tell us how you did it. That is your challenge for this week.

Have a great weekend.

7 comments:

Lara said...

ooh, sounds fun! maybe i will do some experimenting this weekend...

Kekiinani said...

This is just beautiful. I may just have to try it this week.. I never thought of "painting with light". Great idea.. You captured the light and the detail in the rose just perfectly!! :)

Kerri said...

Oh My....this is simply gorgeous!! And thanks for telling us how you did it!!

Wolf Lover Girl said...

Very nice. I think the black background really brings out the rose!

~ Wolf Lover Girl

Wolf Lover Girl said...

Very nice. I think the black background really brings out the rose!

~ Wolf Lover Girl

Mark said...

Very nice. I've been meaning to put a black card in my camera bag for macro wildflower shots. Now I'll have to make sure I do.

I've used the "flashlight painting" method when my brother and I went to an underground waterfall in Lost Valley (in the upper Buffalo River Valley). It was the only way I could get a shot without flash, tripod or not.

Sarch said...

How neat. You're very creative. A beautiful shot.