Thursday, January 17, 2008

Tragedy and Young Drivers

This is one of those stories any parent hates to report and dreads to hear. This is a heart wrenching story so be prepared. Two Saturdays ago a carload of young men were for some reason "hilltopping" on a dangerous section of road in Greene County. Rumors have it they were going 90-100 in what is marked a 30 mph zone, but I have no proof of that. What is known is that these four young men full of youthful promise never made it to Saturday evening.

They crested this hill and lost control of their car slamming into the trees at the bottom of the hill. As near as can be told they were killed instantly as the car disintegrated against the small but stout trees at the bottom of the hill.



The spot is marked by a multitude of makeshift memorials left by the students and friends of the two high schools they attended. A reminder that youth and driving don't always mix well. Please encourage your young drivers to drive slowly and responsibly. Carrying friends is not always a good thing and should be discouraged by parents until the driver has some experience.

I hope these pictures serve as a reminder for you to discuss driving safety with your young drivers.

12 comments:

Anna said...

So sad Mike...

I read on article in Focus on the Family where James Dobson was talking about scientific evidence and studies that have been done proving that the brain of a 16 year old hasn't even formed the vital parts that are essential for driving and decision making. Those areas of the brain arent fully formed until about 22.

I think about that all the time as Sadie gets older and closer to the legal driving age.

I am glad for this reminder.

Mark said...

I can believe what Anna stated about the research.

When I think of how fast I used to drive (often through residential areas) when I was a teenager, I get chills. In most other ways I was much more mature, calm, and responsible than my peers. Behind the wheel of a car, however, I just didn't use good judgment. If others were with me, I didn't drive recklessly, but I still was fortunate not to have hurt anybody or myself while driving like a maniac.

jel said...

that was very sad to hear about!

oldmanlincoln said...

Kids think they are immortal, which is unfortunate and lots of times they don't stop to think. It is a sad story that happens all over the world.

Kekiinani said...

So sad but true. I always worry when my daughter is out with her friends. I am always hoping that they will be smart enough to avoid situations like this.. but one just never knows!!

photowannabe said...

Gut wrenching Mike. What a waste of life.
Good photojournalism for an important subject.

Kerri said...

Ah, this one hits home with me as my son just had an accident 2 weekends ago. It wasn't his fault, deer in the road, but still SCARY!

Here in Virginia, you are not allowed to carry more than one other person in your car prior to turning 18...AND you are not allowed to drive after 12:00 or before 4:00...which I think are great laws!

bluemountainmama said...

what a tragedy! and, sadly, all too common.... this happened where we used to live... 3 young girls and a guy. i really think the driving age should be raised to 18, with maybe a permit at 16. not looking foward to that period in my son's life!

Sarch said...

It does serve as a reminder. Thanks Mike. I think I'll chat once again with my 16 year old before he drives to work today.

Mike said...

Sarch, thanks for your comment. I makes this posting all the worthwhile. Teenagers sometimes have a hard time listening to their parents perhaps this can help.

MedaM said...

It really is a very sad story. Your post is a good reminder to all of those who think that nothing bad can happen to them but only to others. Unfortunately those kind of tragedies happen over here every day, and not only over here, of course but all over the world.

Gretchen said...

There is nothing worse than having the police give you the news that your teen will never come home again.

All the lost promise and dreams is something the universe can never recover from. :(

My daughter turns 16 in June and she's already hinting that she'd like a car. It truly terrifies me after losing a 17-year old nephew just two years ago.