Friday, March 14, 2008

Capturing the Light

I have mentioned my Olympus C-740 camera several times in this blog and have mentioned it and shown it to several of my photography friends. It was my first digital camera and has served me well for many years. It is notoriously slow so capturing fast events is not one of its strengths. It is small so it goes with me many places that my larger camera doesn't. For that reason sometimes it takes me a while to download the pictures I have captured with it.

Today we have one of those captures, which is from our ice storm several weeks back. This picture was taken from a convenience store parking lot at the corner of Scenic and Battlefield one morning when the sun was just coming up.

I still love this little camera. Its optics are superb. I would love to hear about your first digital camera.

On another subject I received a Forbes Success Calendar for Christmas from a dear friend. I have to share one of the quotes from the weekend of March 8th and 9th.

"The ability to have our own way, and at the same time convince others they
are having their own way, is a rare thing among men. Among women, it
is as common as eyebrows."

-Thomas Bailey Aldrich

8 comments:

oldmanlincoln said...

Nice photograph. I took a lot of pictures of the blizzard we had and from the ice storm we had before that. Some of the sun shinning on the limbs and twigs were astonishing to see but the camera never really captured that or the blowing snow in the blizzard. Not for me anyway. This one looks really nice.

Mark said...

Very nice one. I love frosted scenes with backlighting.

My first digital camera was a Minolta S304. It took great pictures, but did so in its own colorspace, so I had to run the images through Minolta's conversion program before I could use them. Excellent lens and image quality, but now it sits unused because I got another point-and-shoot digicam...

Canon Powershot A560. I can't say enough good things about this camera. At only $130, it is quite the deal. When my D100's not convenient (i.e. on work trips), this little wizard fills the bill.

photowannabe said...

Beautiful backlighting and sunrise colors. Really nice pictures as always.
My one and only camera has been my Sony Cybershot. It goes everywhere with me. I haven't gotten brave enough to try the more complicated cameras. Perhaps someday.

jel said...

AWESome pic!


I don't have a digital, but the way things look might have to get one !

do they make digitals that you can change lenses ?

jel said...

Thanks Mike !

will check it out!

Anna said...

This is beautiful Mike!

Kerri said...

Wow This is LOVELY....and I LOVE the quote! Being a Woman...I know that to be true!!

Carmi said...

My everyday digital is a Nikon D80, bought after years of stubbornly holding onto my beloved old Nikon F-801s film-based SLR. But I like to carry my old Kodak digital point-and-shoot with me for the same reasons you carry your Olympus: because the difference between getting the shot and getting nothing always comes down to whether or not you have a camera with you.

And when the camera is small and light, it's always there. My old Kodak is as simple as they come, but the menus allow major customization, and the aspheric glass lens is as sweet as can be. Some of my favorite scenes have been captured on a camera that most posers (the ones who buy expensive gear and then have no idea how to use it in manual mode) would laugh at.

In the end, it's always about the photos, anyway. Travel safe, Mike!