Thursday, March 27, 2008

Where to Begin?

My oldest daughter Katy and I drove to DC, traveling through Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio the first day. There was water everywhere and it was raining so hard I did not get a single picture on day one electing to concentrate on the road ahead and beat the snow as the car thermometer hovered between 34 and 36 degrees. At one point the flood waters were within 3 inches of going over I-70 and the exits at this location in Ohio were overrun with water. We did make it to our destination and settled in for the evening.

The next morning we awoke to about an inch of snow which melted quickly in the now bright sunshine. We continued our trek southeast through Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Western Maryland. The Appalachians were still void of any sign of spring and a blanket of snow covered the trees and ground in the high elevations. We continued southeast until we were sure we had time to do some sightseeing. At that point we headed off the interstate toward the National Historic Site of Harper's Ferry West Virginia. Of course as soon as I discovered there was a railroad through the area I headed for it and the shot above was the result. From Harper's Ferry the railroad crosses the Potomac River and immediately buries itself into the mountainside via this tunnel.

This was the beginning of a great adventure and I am anxious to share my pictures with you all and catch up on visits to your blogs.

6 comments:

Anna said...

I am looking forward to the journey you are getting ready to take us all on! I love this shot...especially the angle!

Luke Wiley said...

very nice! sounds like you had some interesting weather!
Wiley Willows Photoblog

Mark said...

That's quite some trouble to get... where was it again you were trying to go? Sorry if I forgot from an earlier post.

For almost a year, my wife and I lived less than 30 miles from Harper's Ferry. It was a great place to visit, and I can't wait to see the rest of your photos from there.

Actually, and I hate to plug my own work over here, but it's relevant... I wrote a short story about a man's time and hard times in and around Harper's Ferry during the Civil War.

photowannabe said...

That's quite a treck you and your daughter made. I'm really looking forward to your pictures of your trip.

Kerri said...

Wow! Neat shot of that Tunnel!

bluemountainmama said...

did you come down 68.... through cumberland, MD? i always thought you'd love that town....it's got a great railroad and canal history. that's where i used to live. too bad the weather wasn't co-operative. and where in WV did you come through? you may have been near me.....