Monday, June 02, 2008

Xeriscape Garden - Blue 2


This is the end of a blue columbine flower. It was taken at F2.8 using my Sigma macro lens. The problem with shooting at f2.8 is the depth of field is extremely limited. I chose to focus on the reproductive parts of the flower, kind of like an animal photographer focuses on the eyes of their subject. I purposely kept the flower off center which worked out well since this is Anna's challenge!

I want to thank everyone for their many comments on yesterday's post. I will get around to your sites as soon as I can.

10 comments:

timtim said...

Beautiful shot. Thanks for explaining the capture!

Ele ^_^ said...

What a long time.. Anyway wonderful photos as always ^^

June said...

A good choice for focus. I can just sense the flower's invitation to insects...

Dianne said...

I like how fragile it appears. Beautiful photo.

Carletta said...

I love it Mike! Keeping it off center it seems to be sticking its head in the view - hoping you'll understand what I'm trying to say.

Raven said...

What a wonderful photo! Sort of like it's peeking in to say hello. Beautiful! Thank you for explaining how you did it too.

photowannabe said...

Off center and your focus make this an interesting shot and one of the best I have seen for Project Blue.

Christy said...

very beautiful shot. i love the details.

Lacey Lichi said...

What a gorgeous picture! I'm glad you chose the center for the focal point. It makes the petals seem surreal. Just beautiful!

ellen b said...

Oh I love this blue. Beautiful photo...