Thursday, July 31, 2008

Greensburg, Kansas a Year Later


I know this photo won't win any contest or be a favorite of anyone but there is a story here that needs to be told.

On May 4th of 2007 the small Kansas town of Greensburg was hit by an F-5 tornado. This is a view of today's downtown Greensburg. The buildings on the left by my trusty CRV are new construction. The building on the right is empty and is the only downtown building to remain standing after the storm. I guess I expected more to be accomplished as I had seen in our own Stockton, Missouri whose downtown square was devastated by an F-3 tornado.

What I did see this time were homes being reconstructed which is good for Greensburg. At least people are coming home and rebuilding. The downtown may take longer but it will return. As Greensburg is rebuilding it is rebuilding green and we will see more of that tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anita said...

Hi... I live in Greensburg, and I just wanted to say hello, and thanks for the post... Downtown has gone through some very detailed planning, and fundraising, and now is on it's way...
The flower in your header is Galardia, or Indian Blanket... I know, it's my favorite flower! Great shot of it...