Saturday, August 16, 2008

Arkansas Alco's




There are very few places left in the world where you can find railway locomotives built by the American Locomotive Company (Alco) today. In fact this may be the largest concentration of Alco locomotives in the world. At least one of these aged engines was built in 1939. All are tenderly cared for by the shops of the Arkansas & Missouri Railroad based in Springdale, Arkansas.

The railroad discovered these locomotives are well suited to the mountains of Arkansas with their strong pulling power. They have scoured the nation looking for these locomotives to supply parts for the increasingly rare fleet. These locomotives are beautifully maintained and worth seeing. You can even ride a passenger train from Springdale pulled by these unique engines. One thing you will notice is they sound different than most diesel locomotives. It is great to hear their song in the Ozark mountains.

6 comments:

jel said...

hey Mike!

great pic,

Faye Pekas said...

I like the gray tone shot on the bottom a lot.

KS Photography & Design said...

Thanks for the comments Mike! Nice to know you!

DrillerAA said...

Great shots. I may have do run down there during my lunch hour. I work in Rogers.
My dad spent 42 years with the Frisco, so trains hold a special place in my heart.

Professor said...

These are wonderful and almost gives an old and new perspective from the color to the B&W!

SHOOTING STAR said...

I think these pictures of the trains are awesome;-) Well done my friend;-)