Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Northwest Arkansas Rollergirls!





About this time last year, we were looking for our Springfield Roller Derby matches. This year the Northwest Arkansas Rollergirls found me! I couldn't resist the invitation and made my way to Springdale on an unbelievably cool and rainy August day.

This is a great bunch of women based in Springdale, Arkansas who have a passion for Roller Derby. The group has two teams, the top two pictures are of the Arkansas Killbillies in pink and the bottom picture is of the Backwood Betties in black. The Killbillies were playing the Mad Maxines from Lincoln, Nebraska and the Backwood Betties were playing the Dixie Derby Dames from Huntsville, Alabama.

Both the Killbillies and the Mad Maxines are nationally ranked teams. This was quite an experience as this was a little more intense that what I have seen before as the Killbillies were looking for a win after losing to the Mad Maxines in Lincoln last year. In the end the Killbillies ended up short one point but they made the Mad Maxines work for the win!

I wish the ladies a great final match in St. Louis and a great off season and look forward to hearing from them next year. You can check out their website at http://nwarollergirls.com/.

4 comments:

Mark said...

I'm so bummed that we never knew about this league when we lived in northwest Arkansas. That would have been great fun.

Good pics of the action, Mike.

Louise said...

Terrifici photos! I haven't seen roller derbies since television as a child.

photowannabe said...

Fantastic action shots Mike, especially the middle one. I love all the tatoos on the blond skater in the last shot.

Jeska said...

Garsh! I am so white, I glow. Nice shots. Blazen Glory

http://alyssium.blogspot.com/