Thursday, August 21, 2008

Playing With Trains

I did this self portrait about 4 years ago believe it or not. This was my train layout at our last home. The scale is N scale which is about 1/2 the size of the most common HO scale and about 1/8 the size of a Lionel train. The Southern box car in the front is about 5 inches long.

I was looking through some of my old, old pictures and found this one. I sure miss this layout but I don't miss the basement that it lived in!

Progress on the new train layout has been slow as photography has emerged as a new passion for me. Ironically, I got into photography to take pictures of my trains for magazine articles and such.

Be sure and check my other blog Working in Miniature for periodic updates to my new layout.

7 comments:

DrillerAA said...

Interesting how our interests change. I have always loved photography, I just never did much with it until digital came along and then, only recently have I actually started blocking out some time in my week to shoot photos.
Have a great week-end.

jel said...

what is it that draws a person to Trains? they are very cool to watch!



have a very cool weekend!

photowannabe said...

I love the scale models and all the intricate work involved. I also think its interesting how our interests evolve over time. Nice self portrait Mike.

Faye Pekas said...

LOL that IS ironic. But you can always get back to the trains when you're too old to get out to take photos.

Nice self portrait.

Mark said...

One hobby started overshadowing the other.

Was it you who made a pinhole camera to get maximum depth of field while photographing macros of your train cers

Mike said...

Wasn't me...I think I saw something about that in Shutterbug Magazine though.

Lori Schmidt (LoriProPhoto) said...

Telll me about basements, I hate ours, I call it the black hole LOL

Many many years ago a friend of ours was in to building exact scale models of the steam locomotives in Rhodesia and he had the track running around his garden. It is so long ago but I remember the locomotives being about 2 ft long or thereabouts but then I was small, but they were exact scale and exact in their detail, he was very talented, not big enough to ride on. He had little tablets that he put into the funnels and they used to puff smoke!.