Thursday, October 16, 2008

The Ozark Mountain Gem and Mineral Society

I told you today would bring something different. It is literally amazing the opportunities for photo field trips that are out there. Sometimes you have to be willing to move on short notice. I knew nothing of this show, the 41st Annual Gem, Jewelry and Mineral Show, until my daughter came home from school and told me she could get extra credit for going in her Earth Science class. I quickly volunteered. The only problem is I needed to take a notebook so I could write down the names of the rocks and minerals I was shooting. Note for next year!

On a side note. Teresa has sent her camera off for repair. She has a damaged pixel which was leaving a bright orange spot on her pictures. Has anyone else had this problem? I am a little disappointed in the quality of my Nikon gear. She has had this problem and I have some difficulty with my 18-200mm VR lens. What has been your experience? The warranties really don't stand up too well either.

I hope everyone has a great week. Remember there are "field trip" possibilities everywhere! Just be willing to go, quickly!

4 comments:

Heidi said...

This is really cool!

And that is why I keep coming back to your blog... please CLICK HERE to receive your award. (It is located towards the bottom of the post.)

Livia Indica said...

Isn't it a cool thing? I didn't get to go this year but I've gone many times in the past. It's amazing the variety and colors. So glad to see an image from the show.

photowannabe said...

Very neat shot. I agree "field trips" are anywhere one goes, even our own house will do.
I'll bet the Gem show was fascinating.

The Riverbum said...

Is this a bunch of gypsum crystals? Whatever it is, it looks cool.

As to the crazy pixel, I believe that a few cameras have an automated process that looks for just such problems and will adjust the software to ignore that pixel and fill it in with an average of the nearby ones. In other cameras, the problem can be corrected by adjusting a "noise reduction" setting. Not a perfect fix, but bound to be cheaper than the repair cost.

Go to http://www.mathiaspohl.de/dx/remove-dead-pixels-nikon for more info on how to do this on a Nikon. If you search for "dead pixel remapping Nikon" or insert your camera brand in place of Nikon on Google, you will get several options on how to do this yourself.