Monday, December 08, 2008

Front Porches Are For Christmas

There are several spectacularly decorated homes in or near our neighborhood. Of course I just had to put one with a really great front porch as my first shot.

I read someplace that the best way to photograph Christmas lights is to do it when there is still some light. That way there is still some ambient light to work with and he makes the Christmas lights stand out. This is actually the last one I took tonight trying this out. I will share some later this week that were taken earlier in the evening.

7 comments:

Mark said...

The blue sky makes for a great backdrop for this picture. I'd say the shooting-Christmas-lights-with-a-little-ambient-light method paid off.

Faye Pekas said...

This is a great shot. Just the right amount of natural lighting I think.

What a beautifully decorated home.

jel said...

Very cool!

Heidi said...

This is so beautiful! And thanks for sharing the tips!

DrillerAA said...

It really is a wonderful technique. I have never tried this, but I really like the results.

Lori Schmidt (LoriProPhoto) said...

Lovely shot Mike, our neighbors have decorated their house for the first time this year and I keep forgetting to go out while there is still a bit of light in the sky to shoot it. This cuts down on the stark contrast between the light and dark and avoids blow out on some of the lights (in case anyone wondered LOL)

Anna said...

I want those light...and I will take the house too! I like the tour you are taking us on Mike!