Saturday, December 27, 2008

St. John, Port of New Orleans

A tugboat, the St. John, races up the Mississippi River. In this visit to New Orleans, I was impressed with the way the city has recovered three years after Hurricane Katrina devastated the Gulf Coast. We took the Chalmette ferry over to Saint Bernard Parrish which was one of the most devastated portions of New Orleans.

Two years ago we made this same trip and the community was still pretty much boarded up and there was still a lot of debris around. Today the debris is gone and the homes are rebuilt and occupied. It was great to see.


1 comment:

Lori Schmidt (LoriProPhoto) said...

Hey I crossed the Mississippi when I went over to collect our horses a few months ago in Iowa!!!!

Nice pic and it portrays the cold dullness of winter brrrrrrr. I know you have porobably been like us, the temeps have been on a roller coaster ride with ice one minute, rain the next, snow and dreadful winds. We havent had much snow so I am hoping for some of that in the new year coz I always like photographing the horses in the snow.

I LOVE your header picture, perfectly balanced light.