Friday, April 10, 2009

Front Porch Friday...More Porches from Old Algiers.



The front porch is a common sight on the homes of Old Algiers, Louisiana. For those of you that missed the previous post on Old Algiers it is directly across from downtown New Orleans on the West Bank of the Mississippi River.

I love the top porch with its wrought iron fence and the beautiful lilies coming up from a planting of asparagus fern. These grow quite well through this particularly mild New Orleans winter.

The bottom porch was magnificent with its working gas lamp. I would have loved to come back down here around sunset to see the glow of these lamps.

If you ever get down to New Orleans be sure and go to Old Algiers. Just take the ferry from downtown across the river, enjoy the ride across the river and take time to walk through these quaint homes. You can also visit Mardi Gras World which is a short walk down the river toward the Mississippi River "Twin Bridge".

I learned this morning of yet another devastating tornado in the beautiful town of Mena, Arkansas. I have always loved going through the downtown of this Arkansas town and now I hear reports the downtown was devastated. Say a prayer for those in Mena.

I am actually off work today and plan to take a little photo trip. I hope everyone has a great Easter weekend.

3 comments:

Mark said...

Nice pictures of more porches.

I appreciate your kind words about my home state's loss in the tornado. Makes me want to go through Mena and help on our way back to my hometown this weekend.

jel said...

AWESome shots


have a great day! and weekend Mike


it was a bad storm last nite,

am sorry to hear about the loss,
our prayers go out too the familys of Mena,

graggg said...

Mena Arkansas where a tornado.
At least three people were killed and two dozen injured on Thursday night when a tornado smashed through Mena, Arkansas.

"About half the injuries were reported as serious," said Tommy Jackson, a spokesman for the Arkansas Department of Emergency Management at North Little Rock, Arkansas.
See the live program.
Tornado