Saturday, May 30, 2009

Announcing the first annual Ozark Photos' "High Noon" Photo Contest

Photo taken at noon in Springfield, Missouri

What is the High Noon photo contest?

Noon light, especially in the summer, gets very low marks for quality. So what I have decided to do is challenge the readers of Ozark Photos to go out between 11 am and 1 pm in their local time to take their best shot. I realize you readers in the Southern Hemisphere may have an advantage here since it is winter. Oh to have those long shadows! The contest will run from June 1st to August 15th. Your pictures must be taken between these dates. You will submit your entries to me via my email address ozarkphotos@sbcglobal.net . You may submit low resolution images or watermarked images if you wish. I will collect your entries and along with a couple of other local Southwest Missouri Photographers we will judge the entries after August 15th and come up with First, Second and Third place winners The first place winner will win a copy of Joe McNally's newest book The Hot Shoe Diaries.


Why am I doing this?


First off, because I think it will be fun. Secondly, I would like to get this blogging community that I have enjoyed so much for the last 3 years active again. Thirdly, I think mid-day light gets a bad wrap.


Who can participate?


Any reader of Ozark Photos. Of course, that number has dwindled of late so you need to go to all your blogging friends and tell them about this contest for it to really work and for us to see some really creative noon time shots.


What do I need to turn in and how many times can I enter?


You need to turn in a jpeg image preferably no smaller than 550 by 600 pixels. Please also submit a description of what you did to get the shot. Also make sure you have your name in the body of the email. If you are the first place winner I will request your mailing address to get your prize to you.


You can submit one shot each week during the contest.


Anything else I should know?


Obviously, I can't change what mother nature does so you may get lucky and have a cloudy day. That works too. Pictures do not need to be in a particular category. Portraits, landscapes, flowers, macros all qualify. The picture must be taken outdoors to qualify. Studio work is cheating! :)


If you come up with questions post them on this entry or any of the updates so everyone can see. I am sure I am not thinking of everything.


Good luck and most of all have fun! Let's see how creative we can be with noon time sun. Tell everyone you know, the more that participate the more we will learn from one another. I will give periodic, probably weekly updates if people really get involved.




8 comments:

Clayton Pearlstein said...

That sounds really fun! Thanks for putting something out here like this. It will push me to be creative and take some pictures. I really enjoy the push that even a small competition can create. I also look forward to the Photo Walk! Thanks for taking your time to lead it. God bless.

Faye Pekas said...

Way cool :) I got back to blogging just in time. I'll put a link on my blog too. Thanks Mike, this is good incentive. Of course, i might have an advantage too because cloudy summer days aren't that rare in my area.

Clayton Pearlstein said...

What are we able to do as far as post processing? And I was wondering that about the photo walk as well. Thanks.

Mike Young said...

Clayton, anything goes on this contest and as far as I have seen anything would be ok on the photowalk as well.

Mark said...

This sounds like a lot of fun. Now I have a good excuse to have my camera with me every day (which I don't today -- consarnit!).

News2K said...

Interesting... I take horrible photos (which is why I enjoy your blog so much). We shall see if I take anything contest worthy!

Lori Schmidt (LoriProPhoto) said...

I'm in!!! I asked the question in an earlier post and should have asked it here, I know it has to be outdoors, bt are we allowed to use fill flash?

Mike Young said...

Absolutely you can use fill flash or any light modifier, including diffusers, reflectors or anything I haven't thought of.

I am sure everyone is figuring out that there are no hard fast rules on this contest. It just needs to be outdoors during the hours prescribed.