Saturday, June 06, 2009

Coach Ricky Simms, Jr. 1974 - 2009




This post is dedicated to the life of Coach Ricky Simms of Study Middle School. Coach Simms was the ISS teacher at Study and coached the 8th Grade Football, Basketball and Track programs there. We learned this week that Coach Simms passed away leaving many devastated students. Today Teresa and I attended his memorial service at Deliverance Temple here in Springfield along with about 1,000 other teachers, students, former students, administrators and family.

Coach Simms will be remembered for his love of the Study students, his smile and his competitiveness. He and his 8th grade football team brought Study the City Championship for the first time in 38 years this year. Judging from his teams emotions at today's service he was not only a good coach but a good mentor to these young men.

Coach you will be missed.

These picture were taken a few months ago at the Hillcrest Junior High City Basketball tournament. These pictures were hanging on Coach Simms office wall and were in the video shown at today's service. I only wish I had taken more.

10 comments:

Lori Schmidt (LoriProPhoto) said...

I am sorry to hear this Mike, I have been down this road a few times over the past 9 months and it is a hard one.

The photos you have of him are wonderful and will be treasured by his friends and family, you captured his true spirit in these pictures as I can see in them his passion and love of the children and the sport.

Wolf Lover Girl said...

So sorry for the loss. It must be very hard to loose a great coach and mentor as a child.

~ Wolf Lover Girl

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this wonderful tribute to my good friend Ricky Simms. He is loved and missed by many all over.
-Toriano Porter, St. Louis

Mary Ruble (McNeely) said...

I was a high school friend of Ricky's and actually just googled his name today because I recently had a dream about him out of the blue. I am shocked! My heart goes out to his partner, child and family.

Anonymous said...

Ricky was a great friend, mentor, dad, brother and leader. Thank you for the wonderful tribute to him. Words can't express how much he will be missed.

Precious C Holt, Orange County CA.

Mike Young said...

I am so touched by the response to this post. Thank you to all who have posted to honor this great man!

Mark said...

Somehow I missed this post. What a sad loss. Your great pictures help commemorate him in a positive way.

logan stapp said...

hthis was the hardest thing to ever happen to me he was like a father a leader a everything to me and just to see anything this bad take him it just hurts to see a loved and kind and amazing person just dissapear like that and we cant ever say or do anything to help i feel like i could of said something done something but i just am shocked and i have loved him my whole life he has taught me basketball football all kinds of stuff and he best friend has the courage to keep me to exceting at higher rates then ever and i feel like amazing thing are in store for me and none of these thing could of happened to me without him impacting my life and he will be missed by all


logan stapp

logan_stapp said...

he is amazing rick a coach a father a everything to me and he exceted me to new highs and taught me sports hes amazing i just hate this happen to people that impact my life and he will be missed sorry to everyone that happend to and stay strong just remember hes watching down on us tryin to help us and it hurts me to and stay strong

logan

Mike Young said...

Logan,

Coach is looking down on you and what you do. Remember that always in what you do. It is important that you do positive things for people just like coach did. Keep strong and excel in everything you do.

Mike