Thursday, July 30, 2009

New Orleans 2009 - A City Recovering

New Orleans is alive and well. Now granted, it still has a long way to go, as I saw when we traveled out I-10 East, but there are throngs of people there and the city looks vibrant again when you drive in after dark. The Quarter is full and bustling. People are smiling. Cash registers are ringing.

There is still a lot of work to do. I wondered why the government has not spent millions of stimulus funds on the South to rebuild. It seems to remain neglected even under new leadership. Too many other promises I guess. The Gulf Coast of Mississippi is a wreck, but the people I saw were happy and in high spirits. Only now are things beginning to be rebuilt on a very limited scale. Mississippi is far worse than New Orleans.

Our drive along the Gulf Coast of Mississippi was a startling wake up call to me that we still need to pray for many Americans struggling to come back home.




2 comments:

Twyla and Lindsey said...

So sad. Thank goodness the American spirit is resilient. Twyla

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. I would like to get updated with you new posts as I love to read your blog. Add me to your mailing list if you have any.